Salmon Season 2013 – 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 407 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Jezza

yellowfin
    Participant

Sweet man, what method? Spin gear? I’m there tomorrow after work after seeing your pics.

shark slayer
    Participant

nice wee fish there jezza well done…good way to end the day :grin:

troutfishernz
    Participant

11lber I got at Opihi mouth this afternoon, Took a 3inch gulp while trout fishing :grin: :)

nickthechippie
    Participant

Awesome! Good work that would have been a good fight, perfect friday night dinner

troutfishernz
    Participant

Thanks. Yeah was a awesome fight, Seen it porpoise and thought it was a Searun so casted to it and then seen this flash of silver chase then hit softbait, Didn’t really take a lot of line maybe 50yrds in the first run then just sat in the current for most of the fight,was hard work to get it out the current with only a 6lb leader.

yellowfin
    Participant

First time I have had my daily limit in salmon. This 6.5kg Montrose fish, followed by a smaller 4.5kg wild fish. Rakaia mouth (surf), 22/02

John (aka pfe92nz)

ripshitandbust
    Participant

Is that an abu aeon? are you running braid on it?

yellowfin
    Participant

Abu Revo Toro NaCl 61 (left hand wind version of the 60) and braid.

yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone heard about the $100,000 escapee loss from the Akaroa Salmon farm over the last couple of days?
    Apparently some salmon fromthe farm have already been caught in the Rakaia but why would they head up river? They are not wild fish returning?
    If anyone has any ideas where or how to target these fish please reply, i would have thought they will be in a large school somewhere?
    Maybe troll around the harbour or further out, either way its a lottery now.
    If i cant get a ‘wild’ salmon this season (they way its going currently is depressing! ha) i might as well have a go for these fish….

burkefish
    Participant

hasn’t reached peak season yet. if the escapees are 3 year olds they will look for the nearest river. some will stay in the harbour depending on food and try some of the streams that flow in there, some will hang around where they escaped from.

yellowfin
    Participant

Awesome ‘burkefish’ thats helpful, thanks!
    I will persist with the Mak for a while yet but the temptation to chase these escapees is pretty high too!
    I find it interesting the farmed fish would still have the instinct to head up river.

yellowfin
    Participant

Finally on the board. Smallish salmon from rakaia mouth today. 11 pounds. Saw 6 caught. 2 on south side and 4 on north side

yellowfin
    Participant

The spot is accessable by foot. It is not very far from the boat ramp near whiterock station. The spot is quite obvious even to the untrained eye.there is also many other good spots that are easy to access by foot but you will need permission from landowners for some spots.its also worth taking your trout rod as there are a huge amount of brown and rainbow trout up there. The salmon I got was cought on my trout rod and on a trout lure so it took about 15-20mins to land it. It was a funny weekend because the trout where more interested in the salmon lures than the trout ones and the 1 salmon I got was on a trout lure.
    thanks v much for the info, just one more…..is it above or below the gorge? is it where they load the rafts in, or take them out? thamk you

Sorry for the late response. It is near where they out the rafts in.

burkefish
    Participant

at lest 9 fish taken at macintoshs to 1pm today a mixture, most freshrun and the occasional that has been around a little while.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 407 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.