Salmon Season 2013 – 2014

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 406 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 407 total)
  • Author

shark slayer
    Participant

haha..cheers greeneman that second one I lost gave an awesome scrap…I use braid and tie directly to my lure..leaders are a waste of time and money unless your fishing a deep gut with steep shingle banks that your braid may rub on..good to meet you last night johnwest..was that you that got the first fish of the day this morning??well done on getting your season under way there burkefish…today was good for me got another bag limit..9 and 12lb…first one around 9 o’clock the second after lunch…11 taken in total I think..my mate dropped two…hopefully next time josh… :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

my bagger from Saturday.

lost another good one yesterday in the wind. had a second very large fish just swiming around my feet for a while, didnt seem phased by my presence at all.

shark slayer
    Participant

nice fish jezza….very dark in colour..nice looking spot to fish there

Johnwest
    Participant

Hi slayer, Yip that was me… first two on the beach in the morning by 8am and then had to go home… pretty happy as the pressure is now off. Went home with 3 fish after getting that one Saturday night… see you up there again.
    Cheers

Anonymous

Awesome fish jezza! I miss the dunedin harbour – Some huge fish come in there. Did you catch it where the photos were taken?

Got this fresh hen dead on low tide in the lower mak.

There seems to be a few around of this size which is a bit bigger than the ~10lbers we’ve been seeing over the last month or so. So yeah, hopefully they’re getting bigger!

burkefish
    Participant

saw 8 fish taken at macintoshs to 3.30pm ,today it was the boats turn-they got 6 a mob of fresh run fish came in at lest 1 still had sealice. fish are more active on the surface now could be a good morning tomorrow. unfortunately I won’t be there and the size does seem to be increasing.

yellowfin
    Participant

Got my first fish from the surf at Rakaia (south side) on Saturday at 12 noon, just 5 minutes after another was landed. Same place that ecurb (above) got his fish the following day. 10½lb

My fishing buddy (from Auckland) lost what appeared to be a far bigger fish about 8am on Sunday at same location. Line tangled with fellow fisherman and he couldn’t wind in any further, and he failed to follow the fish (with other fisherman in tow) and the line caught in the stones in the gut.

He was down for three days to try and get a handle on the salmon addiction/fever that he has read about. He failed to get one but was impressed with the size of the kahawai we have down here. He will be back!

yellowfin
    Participant

boon  Awesome fish jezza! I miss the dunedin harbour – Some huge fish come in there. Did you catch it where the photos were taken?

Not far from where they were taken. the whole harbour has a good number of fishing pooling up currently, they spend a long time in the habour and darken up pretty quickly. The salmon trap has only caught one fish trying to go up stream so far, and It died because it had a trace and hook in its gills. Well thats the sorry I got.

Today is such a nice day and the water is glass, keep having to remind myself why im at work…

shark slayer
    Participant

haha yea jezza I had to remind myself that I couldn’t leave work…awesome day for it..

nickthechippie
    Participant

Salmon Fever is consuming me. A coupla times today at work I was checking rainfall n river flows. Guess what ill be doin if I don’t have to work? I am going to dry hump my first salmon on the stones :oops:

yellowfin
    Participant

nickthechippie

yellowfin
    Participant

Another one was landed off the rocks where I caught my 2 on saturday, 11.5lb.
    and I was told 30 were caught over the weekend in the harbour including all the boats.

subjohn

yellowfin
    Participant

nickthechippie

Fishunter
    Participant

Theres a lot of divorced salmon fisherman out there, I v been close but not yet :)

yellowfin
    Participant

7lber first cast after work

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 407 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members