Salmon Season 2013 – 2014

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 406 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 407 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

11lber from Kaikoura (plus many, many large kahawai were also caught)
    Lost another salmon about the same size, (the kahawai were hammering the hooks -must have gone through 5 or 6 trebles)

shark slayer
    Participant

hell yea dude nice catch,was that today?me and a mate lef this morning becausethe swell was up but i had a feeling the northwester may have sorted it by the afternoon but we couldnt be bothered taking the gamble as we had fished all saturday in shit conditions and blanked.

Anonymous

No, a few days ago. There are plenty of fish there. We were looking for tide and the foam that you see where there is a tide change. 56g ticers work best.

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Good stuff boon, great to see the first pic of the season.

snake
    Participant

hi boon,
    Nice fish,can you explain what tide etc do you think fishes best.

shark slayer
    Participant

i dont think tide is really important,they are feeding hard on the krill etc putting condition on for the run,the kahawai are not realy tidal there either in my opinion and can be caught all day although they do come in schools really close in on the high tide especialy at the mouths,getting conditions right is more important,the flatter the better.i find the green ticers to be most effective in coloured water,if its clean get the shiny stuff out!

odinboy
    Participant

Hi All, looking forward to salmon season, dont do a lot of salmon fishing but last season caught a 25 lb and 15 lb in Waimak ( weighed at Fishermans Loft by Mark ) Thinking of going to baird on my spin up river set up,
    normally use Yo- Zuri Fluoro, any thoughts on this. Cheers, Odinboy

Anonymous

snake

burkefish
    Participant

great to hear salmon are around, seems a little early this year- that’s good should see some action in the main rivers if they ever clear!!!!! well done Boon.

snake
    Participant

ok thanks boon,
    You sure are starting with a bang, well done!!
    Odinboy that’s not a bad season tally,I would be happy with both of those fish.
    Waimak had a great season hopefully this will be another.

Fishunter
    Participant

Nice fish boon,well done.

Johnwest
    Participant

Tried at Kaikoura on Friday and caught 1 kawhai.
    Had a go at canals a few weeks ago with my son biggest caught was 8lb.
    Can’t wait for the salmon to show up and want to have a better season than last year. 3 caught for quite a bit of time invested.

yellowfin
    Participant

Tried kaikoura today hoping for some kahawai and wishing for a salmon, but no luck. first ever day on the beach with the 12′ and had a nightmare so didnt get the effort that had hoped for, heading home after an hour, half of which was untangling birdnests. few problems sorted out before the local season starts so wasnt a complete waste.

burkefish
    Participant

heard a rumour that a salmon has been caught in the surf at Rakaia some time in the past week, weighed about 11lb ?

shark slayer
    Participant

scored my fist salmon of the season this morning,only went 4lb but hey im on the board and will make a nice feed or two,dropped a much better one and my mate dropped one around 11lb.good fun on 6lb braid 2500 stradic and a 1-3kg veritas.caught shitloads of large kahawai aswell the schools were massive and they came in so close you had kahawai swimming around your feet in 30cm of water while casting on the high tide.crazz fishing we got a video of it,havnt seen schools like that since i was a kid.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 407 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members