Salmon Season 2013 – 2014

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 406 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 407 total)
  • Author

Johnwest
    Participant

Anyone know what the surf is doing up the Hurunui today? Don’t want to waste a day tomorrow if its crappy.
    TA

shark slayer
    Participant

it’s crap..dirty as and the southwest is making it worse and getting pretty dumpy now..a couple of fish taken this morning in the gut only around 6lb but conditions were better this morning…won’t improve until at least Saturday I reckon.

Johnwest
    Participant

Thanks Sharky

burkefish
    Participant

Nickthechippie, getting to the stage where they will pool up seeing a little bit of it with fish moving around in the first 2 hours of the incoming tide and 1or2 being caught has happened the last two days.

nickthechippie
    Participant

thanks burkefish. not long now and I will get my first on the stones. have lost a few. I think I will start carrying a chilled bottle for when it happens!!!! :lol:

burkefish
    Participant

know the feeling lost another good fish today, took at my feet, hooked in the roof of the mouth at the back very hard to land a fish when hooked there.so I was played by the fish again. well there is always tomorrow !!!!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Managed my first salmon (not counting canal ones)this morning from the rakaia, happy to get the first on the board
    <a href="“>
    <a href="“>

kbel
    Participant

Well done Lukeron.That looks like a fin clipped fish.I landed one from the Rakaia earlier today also with a similar size with a circular chunk out of the side just behind the dorsal fin. Didn’t look like hook marks but maybe something at sea? Hmmmmm comments anyone?

yellowfin
    Participant

Lost a 10lb salmon at rangi this arvo saw 5 caught biggest 14lb . Loads of ky making it hard for the other guys.
    mean fishing to be had north side but low tide rising was awesome down south side .
    caught ky and red cod on surf caster before heading home

shark slayer
    Participant

possibly a seal mate or mr shark..maybe even a cookie cutter shark who knows?? bloody weird things take circles of flesh out of there victims…well done on your sammys guys..I’m on a 3 day blank fest apart from a few kahawai today…hard going in these northeasters but hey it’s about time I had to work for a salmon..several small fish taken today but everyone was worked for..frank the dude I was fishing with got a wee 7lber that hit almost on the beach…I thought he was talking shite when he said he was on haha…hopefully tomorrow is my day :grin:

croozer
    Participant

I offer that the circular flesh wound is the work of a cookie cutter shark. Have seen it many times on various species of fish. They have bio-luminescence in their eyes and when fish come to investigate at night, they attack with a circular, sawing bite. They are much the same size of spiney dogs. I am finally going to start tomorrow, been so busy, no fishing yet.

Johnwest
    Participant

Were you back up the Nui today sharkslayer?

snake
    Participant

thanks shark slayer,your reports are very helpful and appreciated

shark slayer
    Participant

yea johnwest been up there for a few days…no worries snake..this morning was a good one for me..got hit just behind the wave at about 7.00 but I was half asleep and didn’t keep up with it and the hook pulled but 15 minutes later…bang! I knew it was a good fish strait away it was a weird fight tho it kept surfacing
    and thrashing about it came alive once it was in the wash the other guys thought I had a kingi on..then I got my first look at a plump long salmon..some dude tried to tail it for me and nearly busted me off haha I was like dude get out of the water!!…a few minutes later I tailed it..a dude took a few photos then we weighed it..16.8lb so I’m pretty stoked all my hard work paid off…I left after that….2 taken on the Southside before I left and a few dropped mine was from the Northside and another was dropped just as I left I reckon the next hour or so will fire…good conditions down there..Saturday and Sunday should be good .. :grin:

burkefish
    Participant

good fish SS, good to see larger ones showing up, getting a few larger ones in the mak too. starting to look like a good season. the mak is now following the pattern of last year with a slow build up of numbers in early feb.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 407 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members