salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant
    yellowfin
    Participant

Getting a little jealous of you guys up in Cantabury, still slow times in Dunedin, still beter than previous years.

Have heard nothing from the Waitaki, but the Waitaki does usual have a slow start. Any news yet?

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to the Waimak mouth today but too much weed to be able to fish. Then back to Macks for an hour or so, saw a nice searun trout caught but no salmon. Water was still very milky, might need a bit longer to clear

Liam
    Participant

Went out last night for my first flick up the middle of the waimak.Alot of the water was very fast flowing and not much was appealing. However dad did manage a take so will return to night as the conditions will be better.

yellowfin
    Participant

Waitaki doesnt normally get going untill Feb-March. Hopefully theyll open up April again in years to come when salmon numbers increase.

brumoo
    Participant

Hi All Can any one confirm reports of a 27lb salmon caught at Mackies on Tuesday evening please..

burkefish
    Participant

was told it was 22lb. but whatever size it was a good one.

yellowfin
    Participant

I was Sth side on Tue evening was told 22lb. A nice 15lber was caught off the Rocks an hour ago.

yellowfin
    Participant

I was told at a tackle shop in town that one fish has been confirmed over 30lb in november. I dont know where and when tho.

anyone else heard this?

24lb is the bigest i have heard of here in dunedin, that was mid November off the basin wharfe.

burkefish
    Participant

think it was at the rangitata.

yellowfin
    Participant

biggest salmon known caught at the rangitata is an 11.3 kg fish which is stated on the record board at the south huts. 192 fish recorded caught

I was there yesterday, no talk of any 30 pounders, probably just people at fishing shops telling people that so they buy some gear off them like the fella at ashburton grunting an pissing told me yesterday. reckoned he foul hooked one and landed a 20 pounder on the southside on Thursday morning right at the mouth but I didn’t see him and I was there from 5am till 2 pm

yellowfin
    Participant

Chinese Whispers

yellowfin
    Participant

FishOn

burkefish
    Participant

i have this ‘theory’ the fisrst salmon is always hard to catch, that applies to every season as well. took me 33 years to land a salmon in the rakaia and in the next 3 visits i got 4 more. the latest i have gone in a season without a fish is th 2nd of march , yet by the end of march that year i had 11. that was in the late 90’s.

yellowfin
    Participant

there was a 34lber tacken under arundle bridge on rangi mate. also no of two 28lbers tacken been alot of big fish caught this season

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.