salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 616 through 630 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished the Opihi at Milford huts and below the main road bridge this afternoon, Some very good water and quite a few Salmon moving up river but nothing being caught.

burkefish
    Participant

10 fish taken at macintoshs today all areas got fish. been another good week.

bignhairy
    Participant

had week at waitaki, found good water below bells pond, for boat. caught 4 nothing huge , but 1 really small probably 5lb gutted. 5 guys with us fishing on hole got fish.
    eventful week boating too, 1 coil died ( luckily someone else had spare at base), 1 hose blew water killed electrics( not in good spot either), another got stuck in reverse, this morning though only saw 5 salmon pass through before left to pack up camp.

the plug
    Participant

life is never dull when you own a jet boat! If I paid attention to all the mishaps & breakages I’ve had the wife would have got her way & had it disposed of long ago
    upriver yesterday on the Waimak (on foot) nothing seen. A bit of a fresh coming down in the next 48 hrs might stir things up.

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Spent from 11.30 til 3.30 at Mackies, saw 1 landed and 1 lost on the point and 1 from a boat straight off the point. Went up below the bridges for a look and spotted fish sitting in a deep hole. There was one pair which were quite large and most likely salmon but hard to keep up with them to get a good look.

sorearm
    Participant

spent last few days fishing waimack mouth,was very slow only the odd one caught

yellowfin
    Participant

It was good while it lasted.

I am already thinking about next season :(

With the Waitaki closed for salmon now, Im hoping to get one last chance on the Clutha river this weekend, and maybe one last trip to Christchurch to give the upper reaches a go if the fishing is still good.

cant complain with 4 salmon this year. gutted I lost 9 (suspected) I would like to think Baracuda and Kahiwai might count for a few of those.

yellowfin
    Participant

Same at Mack Rocks , very quiet. Numbers of anglers has definetly dropped off too. Many I understand put their salmon gear away as soon as Easter is over.
    After three months and 70 odd visits to the Waimak (one Salmon tho so happy). Is it time to hang up the long rod and start chasing the trout ? Or should I battle on and try some new spots, other than the mouth and Macks. This has been my first season so I’m still in learning curve mode. Any feedback, advice or help would be appreciated.

burkefish
    Participant

there is usually another small run mid april in the mak, so keep trying. last year it went from 7to28th with the odd fish caught into may.

yellowfin
    Participant

So there is hope.
    Thank you

yellowfin
    Participant

In some respects your odds are probably a darn sight better given fewer anglers and reasonable fish numbers.
    Had a fish on tonight for a couple of seconds until it spat the hook down at the Waimak mouth. Came up as I tried to set the hook and then spat the hook, saw a reasonable size white belly. Don’t think it was a Kahawai as no head shake and Kahawai have soft mouths so usually easy to set the hook (Salmon have hard mouths). Should have sharpened the hook/put a new VMC on. Have been catching lots of Kahawai on that Ticer though.

Saw a big Salmon porpoise close to the rocks in front of me when I popped into Macintoshs as well. Water colour is almost perfect for salmon fishing, maybe could be a tad clearer. I love southerlies and rainy days.

the plug
    Participant

There has been over 100 mm of rain in some parts of the Waimak headwaters since Monday, pretty hard to see where it’s gone as there has been minimal impact on the flow. I think I was hoping that a bit of colour might have improved the chances upriver, but I guess most of the previous run may be near the gorge by now?

yellowfin
    Participant

I don’t think they hang around in the middle reaches between Mcleans Island and the Gorge for long. Usually work on 4 km/day for salmon so just over a week for them to get up to the gorge. Does bring in fresh fish into the tidal reaches to ripen up though. Looking forward to have a decent crack on Saturday morning as more rain and southerlies predicted. :)

sorearm
    Participant

went up to the gorge this morning ,fished for 3 hours no takers.heaps of trout under the bridge tho.migt shoot down the mouth for a look

HIPP
    Participant

fished the gorge again this evening, no fish but water has a nice bit of colour in it, and alittle more water, should be good for a fuw days, good luck, cheers, Hipp

Viewing 15 posts - 616 through 630 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.