salmon season 2012-13

Posted By burkefish On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 667 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  burkefish 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 668 total)
  • Author

Stufish
    Participant

Hi my fellow fishers. Does anyone know if salmon still being caught in the south Canterbury rivers ie: Opihi Rangi or Waitaki? Heading to Timaz for the long week end but will still need my fishing fix. And I,m sure the Waimak will turn it on while I,m gone :x but thats fishing.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Stufish

Stufish
    Participant

troutfishernz

yellowfin
    Participant

I fly fished the Opihi for a bit today down stream of the railway bridge.

saw what looked like 2 salmon in the pool under the pylon, just circling in and out of the pool. put a while wooly bugger on and fished them a bit, no luck.

Stufish
    Participant

Thanks Jezza , thats a nice bit of info, hope your season has gone well.

HIPP
    Participant

Still fishing away at the Waimak Gorge each night, still havent sighted one my self but angler numbers have swelled and I have herd of first hand sightings myself,the earliest of which was seen on saturday, they will proberbly all slip through while Im away for easter, the sneaky buggers… lol, so best you get in there and get some….leave one or two for my return please :), cheers, Hipp

yellowfin
    Participant

Stufish

Stufish
    Participant

Thanks M spec , any word on how the Waitaki is going? Tight lines

yellowfin
    Participant

Stufish

yellowfin
    Participant

hi Stufish, I fished the Waitaki last weekend and had a talk to a few other people down there. They are catching some, but very few, with around 5-6 being weighed at the Glenavy hotel each day. Word is that the river is still too warm for a proper run and the fish that do enter the river aren’t too keen on the bite. I had no luck and only saw one other fish caught near the mouth which was a good one at about 10kg.

There is a good pool just up from the mouth (south side) which can be accessed on foot if you don’t mind wading, hard to explain exactly where but if you ask at the campground they may be able to point the access spot out to you. The farm road by the campground has access to ok water too.

I also paid the dam a visit but saw no fish apart from trout.

hope this helps – good luck!

Stufish
    Participant

:eek: Thanks Danno and Jezza and M Spec all so very helpful, I,m really looking forward to fishing some fresh water and have always wanted to try Waitaki and Opihi so your pearls of wisdom are well noted. Have a great weekend and tight lines. Cheers Stu.

Danno

burkefish
    Participant

a good day at macintoshes 28+ fish caught in all areas, good to see the rocks catching the most. seem to be an increase in larger fish, mainly jacks. where are the larger hens?

Mal
    Participant

Not at the Waitaki…

troutfishernz
    Participant

lost a suspected Salmon up river on the Opihi this morning, Big dark fish which broke me off on Trout gear. Going down the Mouth Tomorrow to try my luck.

hookusup
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 668 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members