salmon season 2012-13

Posted By burkefish On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 667 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  burkefish 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 668 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Might think though toiday NW might bring the mak back down again, Would have been dirty for what a month now nearly??

burkefish
    Participant

had about 26mm up to 8pm tonight. went down to my usual spot to check it out, didn’t feel good on the walk until halfway back. everything then seemed to click into place, maybe the old body now has an imprinted memory after 23years on the track. anyway seems the holes and the runs are still there, only difference is the beach is about 5metres wider and it is sand rather than the usual sticky stuff. all we need now is a clearer river. managed to catch 1 silvery, scare 1 seatrout and have a few mullet chase the zeddie. oh and lost another one on the same snag as the other day.

burkefish
    Participant

Mak dropping fast, weather looking good this week. maybe just maybe might get a fish in the main river midweek, seatrout or salmon doesn’t matter just want to fish !!!!!!!

burkefish
    Participant

looks like the main rivers will be close to fishable this weekend. not much rain in the forecast.

yellowfin
    Participant

Agreed, Will head out tomorrow after tea & try and bag a sea run.

burkefish
    Participant

salmon sighted in and above the gut today in the rakaia, probably some caught up river, sea trout around too.

yellowfin
    Participant

anyone have news for Salmon catched around canterbury river ?

burkefish
    Participant

thea salmon have arrived. time to get serious and at last the weather is co-operating.heard of and seen photo of a 6.6 and 9.9kg from the rakaia a good start.i am now hopeful of a november fish have the rest of this week to tryand get one.

yellowfin
    Participant

I shot down to South side of the Kaiapoi last Fri… Not much was happening at all. Been doing alright on the Trout up river. If only Salmon were as easy to catch!! Hey larry has any been sighted in the Mak so far?? I heard of a fella that reckons he always used to catch Salmon up West Melton way in November???

burkefish
    Participant

my information from a reliable source is that some have gone through, water a bit too coloured to catch them. will have a go thursday and see if i can track one down.

burkefish
    Participant

went out for fish tonight,no salmon but the sea trout were certainly active and i didn’t have any trout gear.stopped at the bridges on way home to have a look, the mak is certainly popular must have been 40 fishing the birds hard at the silveries, saw one trout caught. might have ago tomorrow, haven’t trout fished for a couple of years.

yellowfin
    Participant

Lost a salmon this morning, threw the hook just as I could identify it,I was catching so many cuda that I didnt take it seriously until it was too late.

lesson learned. I shall return tomorrow morning!! :P

hookusup
    Participant

thats good you hooked up jezza shame you lost it,rakaia or rangitata?

yellowfin
    Participant

Leith Stream ;) (Otago harbour)

yellowfin
    Participant

Camped at the Rangitata mouth the last couple of nights, got there Tuesday about 5pm ish, seen 4 Salmon hook 1 landed all in the main gut and all from the south side, I notice that they walk them out into surf where 1 guy lost one,and the others just threw the hook,got up early next day and headed up the braid in search of a good hole, didn’t find one but found some that looked trout fishable so swap to my trout rod, and after a few casts was into a 6lb Sea run. Headed back to the mouth nothing caught just seeing the odd Kahawai in the surf. Fish til dark, then headed out next day, nothing at the mouth. Headed up the braids again and seen a few guys with there quads and scratching rods fishing one of the main streams, one guy hooked one then bolted away after it,then came back a few minutes later carrying a nice size salmon, foul hooked maybe? Well I’ll never know. Fished til about lunch time then headed home. It was good feeling knowing that the salmon have arrived there in good numbers this early too.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 668 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members