salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    burkefish
    Participant

4 at macintoshs to 3pm, 2 rocks, 1 boat, 1 point. was my largest since 05.(20lb).

yellowfin
    Participant

two seen from kaiapoi mid reaches this afternoon, one jumping and one landed by a mullet fisherman, (5-6lb) didnt speak much english but the kid with him did so i said hes not allowed to keep it so the kid threw it back (off the swing bridge) the guy who caught it was not happy the fish then floated for about 10m upside down so i got my rod to try hook it and then hold it in water for it to regain itself but then it took off so guessing it was just stunned, dont think the guy is too happy with me but hey they have laws for a reason, i also hooked something large assuming it was a salmon, took alot of line before snapping my mullet hook lol

burkefish
    Participant

have been informed that there are fish through the kaiapoi and some being caught around the boat ramp.

yellowfin
    Participant

yup have seen a few jumping and making splashes last few times ive been there

burkefish
    Participant

late going out today, 5 caught at macintoshs from 11.30am. 4 in the boats ,1 on the point. sw wind made things difficult, left 4030pm.

ripshitandbust
    Participant

I am a dunedinite who will be in Christchurch this coming week. Chucking my gear in the truck. I have never fished the Rakaia, is it far to walk from the parking area to the southern side of the mouth. How has the rakaia surf been fishing? How about the waimak mouth/surf would this be a better option? which side is best to access it from?

burkefish
    Participant

rakaia southside not much of a walk from what i’ve been told. waimak fishing ok ,think main run is due any day. mouth has had fish everyday this week . kairaki best bet ,through kaiapoi till you come to a sign pointing right. ferry road on the right half way down gives access to macintoshs, fish taken there every day.

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Fished Mackies from the boat from 2 to 4.30 this arvo, very quiet with only one seen landed from the rocks. Lots of fish porpoising though just not in the mood to bite. Subjohn had a good fish follow right to the boat which gt his heart rate up !

burkefish
    Participant

has been reported to me that until 3.00pm 8 fish at macintoshes-5 on boats, 2 on rocks and 1 on the point. also a seal is in the river seen swiming up stewarts gully side.

yellowfin
    Participant

I went for a look at the banana hole tonight… That seal was there at 8pm.

ripshitandbust
    Participant

Thanks guys I’ll take a look at the waimak if I get a chance. I checked in at the otago harbour comp, it fished very poorly. There was an early run in the harbour but it fizzled out, nothing like last year. A few fish were coming from the Waitaki both up river and the surf till recently when they opened the tap and flows are now at 600 cumecs. Looked fairly big and dirty as i crossed it on the way up today.

Stufish
    Participant

Fished Mak mouth both Saturday and Sunday, Finally got monkey off back with a nice 14 lb finned clipped jack :grin: Still very quiet there for the number of fishers no sign of seal at that end . I,m sure one lone seal not to blame for lack of numbers being caught.

burkefish
    Participant

seal at macintoshs seemed to stir fishup as 8 were caught while it was around. came to a hooked fish but didn’t touch it.

yellowfin
    Participant

Has anyone fished the hole up at Woodstock yet?

yellowfin
    Participant

yup been up all through there mate no fish at all i reakon your better off in the lower reaches :)

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.