salmon season 2012-13

Posted By burkefish On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 667 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  burkefish 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 668 total)
  • Author

burkefish
    Participant

saw 2 at macintoshs, 1 where i fish. the other was with a person on a kayak, playing the fish, went to net it got it in the net and capsised. came up still holding on to fish on his rod. we sent a boat to assist, first thing they did was net the fish, got him back up, said he only lost his backup rod. when he came over to us he was given a mintie. would be great on video, don’t if his camera recorded it hope it was waterproof.

CharlesSmith
    Participant

fished 2day got another limit bag seen afew other salmon landed and some playing around, water was bloody warm… the fish went 16lbs and 12lbs

yellowfin
    Participant

New to this forum, ex Timaruvian salmon fisher now living in Nelson, was planning on heading over to Wairau River, does anybody know whether any salmon have been caught/sighted as yet, understand that they’re usually in the river sometime Feb/Mar? Also, where’s the best place to head, is it down the mouth or somewhere above the bridge where diversion and river meet, any thoughts a help. Cheers.

marsh03
    Participant

How has the waimak been fishing the last couple of days?

yellowfin
    Participant

Very slow at the mouth..2 fish a day sort of deal..maybe 5-6 on a good day amongst 50 anglers.

burkefish
    Participant

macintoshs is slow as well, there are plenty of fish splashing around just not taking which is about the ‘norm’ this time in the season. know of 2 today, 1 in the morning and a 22lb fish about 5.30pm. i left about an hour later so don’t know after that. will be there first thing in the morning, the predicted sw change just might cool the water to bring on a take or two.

Participant

Nothing at mak mouth this morning …

burkefish
    Participant

2 at macintoshs to midday and at lest 2 dropped,1 by me had it on long enough for 2 clicks of the drag. new reel think i had the drag too loose.

gunnercoops
    Participant

any KY around the mak mouth?

Stufish
    Participant

Mak mouth very very slow Wednesday. Not even many if any Kawhai apart from the ones the bloody big seal was eating.

burkefish
    Participant

5 at macintoshs to 1.15pm. 2 on the rocks, 1 in a boat and 2 where i fish and i was lucky enough to get one just after midday.

Participant

Well done on your fish… Good to see south side kaiapoi starting to fire…
    Only one caught this morning down mak mouth not good with 50 odd anglers there …
    Also only one last night with a good amount of anglers there …

yellowfin
    Participant

It was about this time last year that the mouth started to fire, lets hope the same happens this time round!!

burkefish
    Participant

usually the last week in feb to first week in march,main run starts, when fish start taking in clear water means things are starting. the fish i got was a jack, very small roe,could indicate an extended season. hope so.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thats good to know, was there last year and abit earlier. Hopefully when I get there next thursday there might be some around. I spent the whole 12months gettin bagged by everyone for no fish after 8 days fishing. Its time to re correct the record.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 668 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members