salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    burkefish
    Participant

6 salmon taken at macintoshs, 2 before i got there, at 1pm. haven’t got a fish this week but have netted 4. have notice brooklands lagoon is producing the red algae again – need some rain. boats got 3 one was a double. 2 on the rocks and a 11+lb one where i fish.

burkefish
    Participant

28 lb salmon at the banana hole this morning.

cinick
    Participant

Looking at having a look at the Hurunui mouth on Mon. I have a quad bike but am wondering if anyone knows whether I am best to access from the north or south side of the river? Will likely go for a wonder up stream as well.Thanks

yellowfin
    Participant

Monkey off my back finally!

16lb Wakaki Salmon.

had a real beaut on the line for 15 mins before it pulled the hook. we had 3 hook ups on the one spot all in an hour period and then nothing all day.

burkefish
    Participant

good fish, first of the season always seems to be the hardest to catch.

burkefish
    Participant

know of 4 fish at macintoshs up to about 1pm today. sounds like there were a heap of boats there.

yellowfin
    Participant

cinick

yellowfin
    Participant

Nothing much has been happening at Macks the last couple of mornings. Have seen a couple of fish caught. One dropped right next to me.

Bloke had too strong a drag and keel hauled this fish such that it was almost tail walking on the bank, hence it popped the hook as it hadn’t been played out. At the opposite extreme I saw another chap lose one down at the Banana hole, where he played it for quite a while and it pulled the hook.

Question I had was when you have a fish on and it’s sitting out using the current is it best practice to crank it in to the shore as I have seen a few blokes sit on fish and the fish happily just sits in the current for 5 minutes and then the hook pulls. Chap was asking today what he was doing wrong and the only thing I could see was that he was letting the fish sit in the current and waiting for it to run and tire itself against the drag. I am sure the fish is just recovering when it sits in the current.

I have been playing my fish quite aggressively this season with a stronger drag setting but all the fish have been well hooked, trying to keep a good rod bend, giving no slack line and putting a bit of side strain on to turn the fish but keeping the rod at 90º. The drag on the eggbeater seems to work better than my Abu 6500 but maybe I have been using with too light a setting with the Abu.

yellowfin
    Participant

Jezza

burkefish
    Participant

the first thing i do having hooked a fish is to lossen the drag and control it with my finger, that way if lightly hooked you still have a good chance of landing it. always have a light drag when coming to the net or beaching,that is where a lot of fish are lost. a fish sitting the current can often be moved with slow steady side strain pumping action again with a light drag in case it decides to run. that how i do it, not saying its necessarily the right way but it works for me usually. nothing worse than watching a large fish thats swallowed your spinner sit shaking its head and you know any second the line will touch a tooth and it will be gone.

yellowfin
    Participant

I changed to Owner trebles, they make a huge difference. but they are annoying with barracuda.

yellowfin
    Participant

Guess it’s always a trade off, work the fish too hard and you can pull the hook or snap the line. Play it too long and the hook can work free. Haven’t had a hook pull free yet touch wood, had a broken leader and a break at the lure. I do play around with my drag settings quite a bit to try and get a good balance. Something that works for a big fish, might be too much for a small fish but you can always loosen it off so that you can play the fish out. Never tighten the drag once you have set the hook is a golden rule. I always try and turn the fish with side strain if its running downstream. Don’t know if I would like to control an egg beater drag with my finger when braid is involved. Baitcaster better from that perspective although I have heard of people getting friction burns on their thumb which is always a concern.

yellowfin
    Participant

Jezza

yellowfin
    Participant

29lber caught at the Waimak mouth. 17lber as well. Two fish for over 100 anglers just a tad slow.

gunnercoops
    Participant

had a couple of hours at Mac rocks, bugger all happening.

Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.