salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I hear there was 2-3 landed last night at the mouth and a nice one this morning that I witnessed being landed

brumoo
    Participant

Hi All
    We are try to keep a record of fin clipped salmon caught in the Waimak please

yellowfin
    Participant

kevo85

yellowfin
    Participant

As it happens I was fishing down the bottom of the picket fence about 5mins before you hooked up, we seen that very same fish rise in front of us, it must have been as it was heading the same direction and looked big-only fish about too. I decided to have a cast up where you hooked it knowing a big fish was making it’s way up..too late lol you had just hooked it when I got there..well done!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Thats whats known in the trade as a Bloody beauty.

yellowfin
    Participant

Bizarre how they can get through the picket fence. Hooked it close to the shore as well.

It was a white lure with green holotape special too. Still haven’t found a decent green paint like yours that doesn’t come off after 5 mins. The acrylic stuff is too soft.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah we seen it rise about 10m out, lovely lazy swirl with tail and fins showing..you dont see that down there often. Yeah, it’s hard finding a good paint now..they dont make my stuff these days so I’m using up my last few tins.

burkefish
    Participant

try green nail polish, just roughen up the spinner a bit where you want to put it, $2-3 a bottle at $2 type shops. will do about 50 spinners stays on better than anything for extra protection dulux clear plastic on top keeps the shine spray cans about $10 does 100 or so spinners. by the way great fish, been told a few fish at macintoshs so far today are finnally started to reach our fishing spot, on my way out there.

yellowfin
    Participant

I lost 3 today!!!

first was at Taieri Mouth at just before the high tide peaked. played the fish for about 5 mins, it took 2 bloody big leaps on the take, got it within 15 feet of me and the hook straitened out. would have been a 20lb fish.

2nd was off softplastic at the mouth of the leith on the outgoing tide, played for 2 mins and the hook pulled.

and the 3rd was a wopper 25lb+ in the same place on a 28g zeddy, played for 3 mins and my leader knot snapped when it jumped.

atleast i got some action, but god damn!

**onthefly** i fish the shore, the current is fine for a kayak but you need to time it some you drift up the gorge with the incoming tide and then back on the outgoing.

yellowfin
    Participant

Where abouts at Taieri mouth were you? I tried north beach at about 10.00am but tide made it too rough, then tried near the rocks by beach on south side at the picnic area bout 11am and then up the walking track about 10 mins. I saw 3 guys on the south beach when I was there but Ive still never seen any fish landed. Might have to head back to Leith mouth I think.

yellowfin
    Participant

on the fly

cinick
    Participant

Wow, seems like everyone was into fish over the Christmas break! I hoped to get out on the Clarence mouth while away over Christmas but it was mud brown from the day I arrived for 2 weeks till I left…bugger!!!!

Popped out to the mid reaches of the Mac on Mon and found what I thought was nice wayer but again no fish to break the duck.

While it dosent have scales I cant complain too much as I was lucky enough to pop out with a friend for an hour and bag this bad boy.

So on Sunday I’ll try again for a salmon fish with a friend and his jetboat. Planning on heading up the Rakaia Gorge but we are both as clueless as each other about where to go.

Do you guys think we are heading in the totally wrong direction?????

Any suggestions really appreciated.

Also, the water I was fishing on the Mac had the main current hitting a gravel bar mid river which led upstream in a gut. To the left of this gut (my side) was big slack water which almost created a huge back eddy. I wasnt too sure how to fish it so stood at the top of the eddy, cast down stream threw it and retrieved slowly. When ever I tried casting upstream (from the side of the eddy) and drifting the zedee through the lure just seemed to stop in the eddy and do nothing……

Was I fishing the wrong sort of water, the wrong way……or both?????

Thanks guys,

burkefish
    Participant

7 fish at macintoshes to 12pm- 3 rocks, 3boats and 1 other. 1 that i know of this afternoon. lots of fish sited. will be there at first light tomorrow, good morning tides for the next few days.

yellowfin
    Participant

It sounds as if your pool was far too slow mate, you need a bit of speed I believe in the flow to catch consistently. Some of the water I fish is actually quite swift, so much so that many anglers would, and do, walk right past it. I will try to locate some pics of good salmon water for you.

yellowfin
    Participant

3 salmon caught at the waimak mouth all around 20lb before 8 am. Hopefully the numbers keep building for the weekend. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.