salmon season 2012-13

Posted By burkefish On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 667 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  burkefish 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 668 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

i heard that as well

yellowfin
    Participant

No good on friday Clarrie, but caught one on sunday morning, nothing else about mate.

yellowfin
    Participant

2 taken from the mak mouth today, one from each side..very sloooow

burkefish
    Participant

3 taken at macintoshs and 2 foul hooked and returned. wind a bit of a handful. 43 mm at arthers pass till 7pm has currently stopped raining there, if thats all won’t do much to flow but might be enough to stir things up tomorrow.

burkefish
    Participant

2 at macintoshs this morning lucky enough to lach on to a 17lb fish, put up a good fight soon forgot about the rain showers and cold wind. took 3 metres from rod tip completely swallowed the spinner.

yellowfin
    Participant

Good effort burkefish, how was the river looking today?

yellowfin
    Participant

I have put in a lot of hours down here in dunedin, still nothing to show for it, had 2 follows on saturday, watched 1 swim up river in the shallows (fair booting it) not interested in anything.

I have caught close to 100 barracuda since new years.

There is so much feed around, and so many barracuda around, it makes catching the few salmon there are, like winning the lottery.

had a report today of a

42lb

salmon caught up the Taieri mouth gorge by a local… sounds tall, but with the number of 30+lb fish up the taieri this year its plausable.

only one tide to fish tomorrow at the mouth at mid day tomorrow, so im going to make it count. time to get on the board, you cantabs are getting me down!

burkefish
    Participant

waimak good this morning, peaked at otarama at 91cum. don’t think it will do much in the way of colouring up should stir the fish up though. be good tonight and tomrrow mornings tide. unfortunately i’m doing nightshift.

hookusup
    Participant

Jezza

yellowfin
    Participant

hookusup

Fishunter
    Participant

Hi iv use to have a scrap book of large trout and salmon caught around new zealand till the misses thru it out ggrrr, photos of salmon out of the Waitaki river yrs ago,late 70s,44pd and a 46 and a photo of a 54pdr caught in the Rakaia in 1979 below the main road bridge,buitifull silver fish it was.

kaituna ian
    Participant

Makes you cry when you look back and compare yesteryear to how the waitaki is now ,changed due to the salmon run not being considered seriously and the salmon ladder at the waitaki dam not working .Damn

yellowfin
    Participant

https://fishingmag.co.nz/waitaki-bigpic7salmon.htm 42lb salmon should look something like this.

Was down at the rocks tonight. Completely dead. Nothing caught. Didn’t even see a fish rising. :(

yellowfin
    Participant

Im hearing ya Jezza, Im gonna come down to the mouth tomorrow too I think. Might try north beach first then try the track. Do you kayak up the gorge or are the currents a bit strong? I was gonna take mine but its a double so unless my buddy comes with me, I’ll be footing it. Dad got a 15lb under the Waitaki bridge on sunday. 20 casts in a hole was all it took he reckons. But apparently nothing else doing. Hopefully I’ll get up there in March as Feb is too busy for me. Getting hitched this weekend dam it and then golf, Warriors the following two. Nothing wrong with a bit of variety though, cant fish all the time.

yellowfin
    Participant

i was at the waimak mouth tonight, didnt see any landed but saw a guy lose one pretty much at his feet. will try the banana or macs in the morning

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 668 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members