salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

how is the rakaia river mouth going please,i heard it has 3 mouths at the moment? Hurunui mouth is pretty quiet.. so thinking of making a drive to another river for a week or so. thanks

yellowfin
    Participant

Don’t know about today but Hurunui mouth yesterday 9 where caught so its not that quite aye

yellowfin
    Participant

on the fly

kbel
    Participant

Was at rakaia mouth and surf yesterday all morning and there was nothing seen nor caught apart from a few kahawai highlight of the day was seeing a huge pod of dolphins pass by close in.

yellowfin
    Participant

Kris

yellowfin
    Participant

FishOn

yellowfin
    Participant

My second fish this season. Better size too, 17lb jack salmon – 81cm long.
    Fresh from the sea, caught down at Macs with some help from kbel. Fish porpoised about 15m in front of me just before I cast and I guessed where it was heading, cast in front and the rest was history.
    Thanks with the netting and the photo kbel, hopefully I can return the favour some day.

burkefish
    Participant

great fish, good catch. I was told in my early days of salmon fishing that you never catch porpoising salmon, have proved that wrong many times.

yellowfin
    Participant

Kris

burkefish
    Participant

2 on the rocks at macintoshes this morning so far until 8.45am, had to leave waders developed a leak then split heel of boot (bugger). off to get new ones hopefully back out there this afternoon.

yellowfin
    Participant

A 16lber I managed this morning..keeps up my average of a fish every rakaia trip this season, a bit coloured but will smoke up well, a hell of a fight also..“>

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice fish Kev. I guess it all depends on what they have been doing, whether they can use the current and how much fight they have in them. The fish I caught on Sat I had on the bank pretty quickly but incoming tide at the Mac Rocks so he didn’t have much to work with. I spoke to a chap who caught a 24lber up river who said it hardly put up any fight but he had caught it just after some rapids so it must have been buggered.

yellowfin
    Participant

Was at the Mak mouth yesterday afternoon just before low tide. Went into surf to get Kawhai & after 10 or so minutes was into a nice Kawhai. While playing it I notived a dark object swimming toward me in waist deep water… On second inspection it was a Salmon of atleast 20lbs, Only about a couple of metres from me and swimming very slowly, I follwed it while playing the Kawhai still and yelled out to a fella fishing below me, It swam pretty much into him.. Got a fright and then swam toward me and I just about grabbed it with one hand… Was very very dark and sick looking, It then swam back slowly toward river & I managed to land my Kawhai… Good times!!!

wrights
    Participant

kevo85

burkefish
    Participant

been told that the pool below the rakaia gorge produced 15 salmon yesterday.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.