salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

unverified, but one of the guys at the Hunting and fishing store just told me 1 boat lost 5 salmon and landed two in one day up the Taieri Gorge, one 35lb and the other 37lb. he said he had photos but i never got to see.

but this comes soon after a number of very large fish including one 34lb that have been caught there.

I also have a friend who said their boat lost 8 and landed 1 salmon a few weeks back.

yet to catch something from shore :(

yellowfin
    Participant

Just a question to some of you Salmon anglers, what do you do with the heads of the fish you catch?

brumoo
    Participant

y do you want some ???

yellowfin
    Participant

good tough shark bait

yellowfin
    Participant

Jezza

yellowfin
    Participant

So thats a yes Brumoo

yellowfin
    Participant

on the fly

yellowfin
    Participant

I reckon theres a nice bit of water on the northern beach where I go whitebaiting, that could harbour salmon. I tried there a few times last year but all I got was a foul hooked flounder. Is that where the salmon where caught. I might try up the track on the south side past the cribs.

yellowfin
    Participant

on the fly

yellowfin
    Participant

What lures are people using? Ive been trying silver zeddys and splices with no luck.

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

22g DAM zed with full scales is the business if you can find them. They hold their shine for days on end when everything else dulls off.

Don’t use them at Mackies tho, to precious to lose in that snagfest!

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to the white post after work today, seen 1 landed at the rocks at 4.30pm. Saw a big one porpoise 10m in front of me and that was about all I saw, guna head to the Waimak mouth tomorrow 1st light, and see whats there…..

yellowfin
    Participant

ive got a couple of the DAM zedies with the scales and will be on the rakaia first thing in the morning to try them out

burkefish
    Participant

try a small black with some gold on it in clear water works well up here. white with a green stripe has also been working well up here supprisingly in clear water. i use custom painted charcoal grey one side, white the undersideand add a bit of glitter- mainly from nailpolish that has holographic bits in it.

yellowfin
    Participant

Sorry I should have been more specific, I meant what are people catching them on in the Taieri. Its a different river to most canterbury rivers. Kinda dirty peat stained river which is why Im not sure whether they go for the classic silver zeddy with a bit of red like they do in my old Waitaki river.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.