salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Yes slayer you can, Can even get them off the beach by the whalewatch

yellowfin
    Participant

I have caught two big searun trout (at least 5 pounders) from the beach behind the Kaikoura railway station. Both were taken on a silver 68g weight-forward ticer with a green strip of prism tape attached. I caught them while I was spinning for kahawai.

yellowfin
    Participant

few days of time get all gears ready back into bush for few months get out and salmon time be here before we no it

brumoo
    Participant

new videos of salmon alevins on http://www.nzsalmonanglers.co.nz

yellowfin
    Participant

Ok got my tickets and hotel book for next year assault. Hopefully I will get one this time round. Last visit was a steep learning curve for me and met a few friendly locals.

burkefish
    Participant

got the feeling we might have an early run of salmon this season, in the meantime have decided it is getting to expensive having someone smoking my fish and attempting doing it myself. have invested in a anuka electric hot-smoker and a vacum packer. setup cost $450- IO or so fish and its paid for its self. have done 3 still quite there yet, think i’m using to much salt. have another ready for tomorrow. like this smoker as it has a timer and is very easy to clean and use.

yellowfin
    Participant

10 fish and it pays for itself, i like your confidence for the coming season, although 3 already, may i ask where you got these 3?

burkefish
    Participant

they are last seasons. i just gut gill them, leave them slightly wet then wrap in glad wrap like a cacoon and put them in the freezer( i have a 22cuft one) until i know how many i have for a season. changing the way i do it this coming season. have sourced a large roll of plastic tubing and will vacum pak instead, should keep even better.

yellowfin
    Participant

burkefish

burkefish
    Participant

Yes Socky, thankyou , it has been interesting, think i have it right now took 5 fish. funny thing is the ones i thought were to salty, the people i tried them out on thought they were fine. am now using 3/4 less salt and have got the taste and flavour i like. the trick now is to be able to repeat it each time.

yellowfin
    Participant

I have heard wispers of Salmon in numbers off Tairoa Head (otago harbor) at the moment, its getting close to that time off year…

Im contemplating taking my New Marauder out to Aromoana for her maiden voyage next week since i have some time off work. see if I can get lucky on some pre season salmon. Anyone have some tips for targeting them?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jezza

yellowfin
    Participant

Warburto

burkefish
    Participant

About 4 weeks until rumours of salmon sightings start. me I wander down to the mak see what the whitebaiters are doing, if there are 1or2 salmon rods lying around,its time to get the gear out. haven’t had an early november fish for about 5 years, just have that feeling. meantime will do a ‘first for the season’ and chase some trout on monday.

yellowfin
    Participant

see you down there larry ill start end of next week very early but still you never no :grin:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.