salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    CharlesSmith
    Participant

iv watched so many people fish thru holes for hours with no luck at all then one of us first time thru will hit one, Constancy in your cast placement is a big one i was brought up learning from my father, as Kevo said good weight to stay down in the “strike zone”! A angler who chucks and luck will be out fished buy any angler who has made the observations thought about the processes needed and correctly done the methods right cast after cast.

burkefish
    Participant

another thing to watch out for especially in the lower reaches of rivers is to take note of where you see salmon surfacing, if you see 2 or more in the same area over time, target you casts through it. salmon tend to to follow a ‘path of lest resistance’ or channels in shallow water or along the edges in swift water as they are about conserving their energy.

yellowfin
    Participant

It’s about attitude, the successful guys fish their spinner back to shore, they think about what that lure is doing, how it’s behaving and if they’re not happy they alter the retrieve- lure weight etc. Some dudes cast out and wind in with little thought all day long, almost as if they’re in automatic mode like robots. The guys who say it’s all luck catch very little..I honestly believe that.

CharlesSmith
    Participant

kevo85

burkefish
    Participant

yes, agree with that. salmon fish 5 months of the year,spend the whole year thinking about it and how to improve your chances, modifying your gear, reading about it sharing tips etc. its an addiction, wouldn’t change it.

brumoo
    Participant

Hi All entry forms out now for NZSalmon Anglers Comppitition on 16th March at most fishing shops or vist http://www.nzsalmonanglers.co.nz

the plug
    Participant

On that note, Ross Millichamp’s book salmon fever is essential reading for anyone that wants to learn how to catch a salmon

burkefish
    Participant

yes and salmon country b y Jack byrne is as well. it is also amazing what you can glean from books written over the last 80 to hundred year from europe and america. always reckon its not fish that change its those who chase them. one of the best afternoons i’ve have had fishing hardly had a cast, met an ‘old’ fellow – was 90 over on the st gully side. he had fished for salmon and trout at the mak since 1923. the information and stories were amazing. my only regret has been i had no means of recording it and that history and info is lost.

ash243
    Participant

has anyone heard how the Rangi’s going

yellowfin
    Participant

What’s the rule of thumb for the Mak mouth?? Couple hours either side of low tide??…Not much happening the last couple of evenings.. Dropped a good Kawhai on Sat night, Thought it was a Salmon as was retrieving slowly…. Then it went aerial!!

brumoo
    Participant

i fish 4 hours before low tide and 1 hour on incomming but who knows salmon can be there any time

burkefish
    Participant

5 salmon on the rocks this morning, salmon showing themselves over the whole area for the first time, usually a sign of a build up of numbers. at lest 3 seen heading up the kaiapoi.

CharlesSmith
    Participant

10 salmon taken at rangitata today 8 in gut 2 in the surf

yellowfin
    Participant

Fished the Mac Rocks from 7-9pm tonight. None caught, none seen.

burkefish
    Participant

2 on the rocks 1 in a boat up to 2.30pm, a lot of fish activity early in outgoing tide sloed down as wind came up and tide turned.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.