salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

26lb from mac’s yesterday evening. Such a nice fish

yellowfin
    Participant

awesome fish, i maybe going there tonight but am going for sure first thing in the mornning………heres hoping

burkefish
    Participant

what a great fish, good catch, seems the season is just getting better and its great to see fin clipped fish returning as well.know of 4 sofar the biggest 22lb.

yellowfin
    Participant

Awesome fish mate! Well done!

yellowfin
    Participant

Saw a 25lber being taken away at the Rocks tonight and a 14lb hatchery fish being caught. What’s the deal with hatchery fish are you supposed to report them to fish and game, weight and length? I seem to remember somewhere they check the age by looking at the ears of the fish the Otoliths (ear bones).

burkefish
    Participant

they want to know numbers mainly, a few scales is an added bonus along with weight and sex. thats 5 that i know of so far. should be a few around this season ,its the first full year of issacs returns as well as silverstream and the farms hatchery.

yellowfin
    Participant

How do you tell the difference between a jack and a hen? Roe sacks? What do they look like for the uninitiated. I know the jacks tend to have a protruding jaw, which get exaggerated when they get to the breeding ground.

yellowfin
    Participant
    yellowfin
    Participant

Giday guys

I hear through the grapevine that the Waimak mouth is super wide at the moment even at low tide, does anyone know what side the channel is on and is it reachable from the north side after wading out. Hows the surf fishing.

Cheers.

yellowfin
    Participant

Very wide and very shallow also mate..a good period of low flows coupled with a strong easterly should sort it out..there seems to be some sort of channel smack bang in the middle, pretty much out of range for most anglers.

yellowfin
    Participant

Cheers Kevo

Hopefully it will be good in March when I wing my way over.

yellowfin
    Participant

burkefish

CharlesSmith
    Participant

Rakaia river has been realy good fishing the last 2 mornings heres a picture of this mornings fish and yesterdays fish

yellowfin
    Participant

hi, this is my first season in fresh water and hunting the elusive salmon. got a rod and reel for xmas…..good work santa…..shimano backbone rod and shimano aernos reel. im still waiting to get on the board but im loving it. i love time down on the river, waimak mostly, casting a lure and i also love trawling the net looking at just about anything (well anything really) to do with salmon fishing in nz (and a little bit overseas) and i have to say i have learnt a lot on various sites but i still have a couple of questions. some are a bit stupid but id still like to know.

why arnt lures like the flying c used so much, if at all here

is it ok to take bananas fishing on a river………im an ex north islander and bananas are a no no when saltwater fishing. saw someone eating one on river today and just wondered if thats bad form or not

does fishing when the moon is full matter

ive heard stories of people fishing for over 20 yrs without catching a salmon. most are having me on im sure but i did personally know one older guy who died without catching one and tried for over 20 yrs. just wondering if anyone else has heard of any other record breaking dry spells……..personally i think record breaking bad skills.

cheers. hope to see you out there

yellowfin
    Participant

There are certainly peeps out on the river that just can’t catch salmon, and you’re right, it’s bad angling skills not luck. I’ve eaten many bananas when on the river lol but I haven’t noticed whether or not they have had a negative effect on my success..I doubt it :D. There is no reason the flying c wouldn’t work..as long as it’s heavy enough to stay down in the strike zone and weighty enough to cast a reasonable distance.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.