salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    burkefish
    Participant

4 this morning at macintoshes. 2- 1 either side of kaiapoi mouth (finally on the board) a 30lb plus on a boat ( weighed 16.5kg on scales but they don’t know how accurate they are) 1 on the rocks. some fish sign once the rowers packed it in. my fish a small one 9.25lb finclipped, wonder if its one i did, thats the hardest one out of the way at last. why does the first fish of the season seem to be the hardest to get?

CharlesSmith
    Participant

congrats on the fish ahahaha yea the first one is always the hardest yet bitter sweet tho once on the bank, yea malcolm mentioned today that a big sucker was landed

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey guys, does anybody know the state of the rakaia today? I’m planning on chasing the salmon for the first time in 6 weeks and it’s a toss up between kayaking the rakaia or hitting the Mak mouth..would prefer the rakaia if it’s spinner fishable :grin:

the plug
    Participant

I was on the lower reaches on Monday- it was marginal at that stage but there was the odd fish around. I’d be surprised if it wasn’t pretty close to fishable by now, but hopefully someone who’s been out today can advise. The ECAN website was reporting a falsely low river flow reading over last weekend but it looks like that gremlin has been fixed now.

baitman
    Participant

I was out on the middle reaches last night the river is very braided hard to find good water. went in at darrochs road drove right up came out at teparita rd.
    Colour was bluey grey IMO should be perfect by tomorrow. Might go out my self after work.

Participant

well done on your fish warren….10 caught at mackys up untill 7pm when i left including the ones mention this morning, cruzed down mouth afterwards nothing being taken there, but heaps ky being caught down by the surf

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

kevo85

yellowfin
    Participant

Was at the mak mouth this morning, no salmon taken..loads of Kahawai about though!!

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

I was at the mak mouth just for a look last night. A couple of the guys chasing kahawai got about 30 between them. It still needs to clear a bit for the mouth to be perfect for salmon I reckon.

yellowfin
    Participant

I agree, when it’s low and clear the mouth will fire..it’s the only location I fish for salmon where I prefer very little colour.

burkefish
    Participant

4 fish taken at macintoshs this morning to midday, 3 on the rocks and 1 in a boat. water colour perfect, seems the fish are coming in on the afternoon tide this week judging by numbers caught. from sunday high tide will be about daybreak and that will increase numbers in the mornings.

Participant

10 tally for day up untill 7.30 tonight, saw a beaut fish of 20plus pound landed tonight, not a long fish but a very chubby fish in great nick, also there was a 26lb caught last night not long after i left…..Buggur
    Yes true i prefer to fish mouth myself when clear although in saying that there was 1 landed, 1 lost down the mouth two nights ago….
    Also heard of a few fish being taken up river in last few nights ….

yellowfin
    Participant

Just spent from 7.30 til 9 at Kaiapoi mouth… Bugger all going on.

burkefish
    Participant

need a bit of build up in numbers for that to fire , usually the next day after a good run on the rocks. should be ok from sunday as there will be morning high tides all next week. also fairly shallow in the kaiapoi mouth so fish won’t hang around.on the other hand the mak side is from 5-8foot deep along the edge at low tide so will improve with time.

yellowfin
    Participant

na mate not many going up river odd one but they seem to be building up more at makies

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.