salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    CharlesSmith
    Participant
    yellowfin
    Participant

I know photos can be deceptive, and although that fish is a cracker, I really do struggle to see it going anywhere near that weight..25lb at the most judging by that one pic.

yellowfin
    Participant

Although not a salmon this fish is still 30lbs..is that salmon 5lb heavier? https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/ … 0626_n.jpg

yellowfin
    Participant

I totally agree with Kevo, sorry that salmon is no way near 30lbs+. looks much smaller

CharlesSmith
    Participant

yea totaly agree with you guys! Altho the glenavy pub has the weigh in center with the offical recorded fish that he caught with 3 others around that 13+kg mark overall condition of fish this season has been superb last Monday evening we weighed 3 salmon that went 24.2lbs 25.5 and 24lbs at the rakaia surf south side that 3 lucky anglers caught.

yellowfin
    Participant

keep in mind with the photo in the paper, the fish is angeled, you dont get any idea on how deep the fish is, the one i saw from Taieri River today was similar length but incredible deep. I beleive the Kurow fish was officialy weighed too.
    will work on getting the photo tomorrow for the Taieri fish.

I need to get on the board bad haha!

yellowfin
    Participant

I Agree with Kevo there. Still I’m jealous and would love a fish that size!!! and want to get off the dreaded “0”

Stufish
    Participant

He must be very strong to hold a 35 lb er in one hand !!!! Saw a 24lber at Waimak and that was close to waist to ground. But hey he has landed a real nice fish this season and I’m still on zero….. good on him.

burkefish
    Participant

from what I’ve seen this year, the fish are shorter deeper and very wide across the back. I have been taking measurments – lenght and girth -of fish for 23 years. a 15 lb fish 30ins long and 18 to20ins in girth is in top condition. so basically a top condition fish must be 2/3 of its lenght in girth. it seems that that once a fish reachs 30ins, every inch it grows after that adds between 2-3lbs to its weight. salmon put on lenght before they put on weight, whereas trout grow lenght and weight equally when they have reached about 10ins and are naturally slower growing than salmon as well as potentially living longer.

Fishunter
    Participant

Hu Guys ,i wander about that 35pdr? from Kurow,iv had the odd 30pdr yrs ago,35pdr ?Iv got a 28pd rainbow around that size and he s a big long thick fish.

harryhunt
    Participant

must have been feeding on shingle on the way up river lol,stil a bloody good fish though good on him

yellowfin
    Participant

https://fishingmag.co.nz/waitaki-bigpic9salmon.htm This I can believe is 35lb, well the big one anyway.

CharlesSmith
    Participant

Fished the rakaia disarvo after work for sea runners seen afew salmon around got this pearler 2nd biggest fish 4 me this season tipped the scales at 25.2 lbs mate got limit bag with two 17lbs fish. picture will be up 2moro asap

http://www.facebook.com/groups/24160563 … tif_t=like

yellowfin
    Participant

Great stuff Charles. Where you fishing the Surf??

Stufish
    Participant

Great to hear about the big Salmon Charles cant wait for the pic :smile: What are the conditions like down at the mouth ie: south end and just the one mouth now and colour ? Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.