salmon season 2012-13

Posted By burkefish On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 667 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  burkefish 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 668 total)
  • Author

kbel
    Participant

In my experience after a big flood on the rakaia there remains a fair amount of silt or slick and the river will take longer than normal to clear sufficient for fishing.
    Others in the know will probably comment but its just a matter of getting out and giving it a go once the flow is at about 200 cumecs and also keeping an ear out for current conditions.Then pray for light winds or there will be a “dust bowl”.

yellowfin
    Participant

Kris

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for that Greeneman I’ll keep my eyes peeled.

yellowfin
    Participant

the Rakaia is still brown, ive been down below the bridge surveying the damage today… it seems a few salmon did not make it through the flood… I saw 3 dead ones over 3km of river,a low rate. but after the deluge of water there would have been more, my Rakaia cobber told me it was a meter below the gorge bridge when it peaked, there would have been more fish that didn’t make it and most likely ended up in pieces or back out at sea dead :(

I don’t know how to post photos but would if I knew

Stufish
    Participant

I am looking for good AUB7000 :smile: Please text me on 0273294321 I have enticer but no friggen reel to suite. Cheers Stu
    Stu

cinick
    Participant

aaarrrrggggg…..Was so excited to finally try my luck at slamon fishing! Had the truck packed since last Thurs, dragged the rod and reel out of the depths of the shed, mounted a bin and rod holders to the back of the quad (so I could look like a “real” salmon guy :? ) and then the rain….bugger!

Do any of you experts think that the Rakaia (river not the surf) will be fishable tomorrow (Mon)?

Its probably my last chance to have a crack before I head to Kaikouira for 2 weeks. If its unrealistic (which looking at the ECAN site it seems to be) then I’ll unpack the truck today and give it another crack in Feb when I get back to chch.

Thanks again all.

yellowfin
    Participant

The Rakaia still bank to bank when I drove over it this morning, dirty and angry. Don’t like your chances. Rangitata surf was dirty this morning despite the southerly. Northerly wind must have stuffed things up last night. Will try again when things clear up a bit. Got the rod out for a few casts just to say I have fished the Rangitata. Rod was casting nicely, might have to take out two of the brakes just to be dangerous. One fish caught last night apparently but I got there a bit late, bugger.

yellowfin
    Participant

Greeneman

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Cinik, If your in Kaikoura for a couple of weeks it would be worth a flick infront of the railway station. Word is it’s quite productive for Salmon.

cinick
    Participant

Thanks guys, Truck is unpacked though the flyrods remain for a mission on Tues.

I’ll take the salmon gear up to Kaikoura with me and have a cast around. Our farm is 5 minutes south of the Clarence mouth so I’ll pop down each morning for a look. Thanks also suibjohn, I’ll pop down to the railway station while the wife is wondering round in town.

Best of luck to everyone when the rivers clear….leave one for me if you can…. :wink:

yellowfin
    Participant

FishOn

burkefish
    Participant

had a look at the mak this afternoon, should be ok at low tide tues for a fish at area i fish should be running about 90-100cm by then . expecting a fish will move through.

Stufish
    Participant

Just come back from Darfield and while there took a detour to look at the Waimak Gorge still rather murky but fishable but what a dust bowl . Not sure what she would look like down stream plus plenty of dirty water coming down from the alps over the next 24 hours. Also thanks for the offers for a ABU 7000 or 7500 but have just purchased a swiss made 7000 as good as new. Thanks Craig awesome buy and have a great season mate.

yellowfin
    Participant

Was just down at the Waimak mouth few people there but not much happening still pretty cloudy. Popped in at the rocks on the way back apparently there were a couple of fish caught earlier in the day.

hookusup
    Participant

Any one heard how the smaller rivers like the ashburton orari are doing with the extra water round and the big ones in such big flood?

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 668 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members