salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

all 3 rivers have salmon in them cinick, in regards to your boat. its most likely not going to be much use to you in the Rakaia, rangi or Hurunui, but would be ok in the waimakariri from the mouth up to macintoshes, maybe a little bit further up. but definitely not in the braided stuff.

so my advice would be to take the 4×4 and head to the Rakaia or rangi, that way you can use it to access the river, and sleep in your truck or in a tent.

my ultimate advice to you is , sell the quad, caravan and boat and buy a jet bot… access the whole river 8)

does anyone know what big floods do to survival rates of salmon… surely the odd few must die because of so much water. I just got a call from a friend in Rakaia saying its bank to bank! :shock:

cinick
    Participant

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Looking like the rivers will be up for a while so my Fri – Mon trip will likely be to a few springers with the flyrod. I’m away next Wed (2 week family holiday) to our farm in Kaikoura which is about 5km south of the Clarence mouth so I’ll pop down there each morning for a look see and hopefully its firing the same as the local rivers. I usually chase the Kahawai there with the flyrod but if the salmon are around I might leave the flyrod in the truck!

Re selling up and buying a jet boat……..maybe I should work on convincing 2 of my mates to dust the cobwebs off theirs, hang of alot of money parked up their driveways and the quad and inflatable are hand on the farm and diving north of Kaikoura. :-)

But seriously, thanks again,

I’ll get me one of these silver slabs yet! or maybe young Tom could take me out and show me how its done?????? Pay an old fella back for the tying clinics with Peter Carty aye Tom????? wink wink……

yellowfin
    Participant

I would seriously consider focusing on the middle reaches of the Rakaia when it drops..there should be fish for africa!!

yellowfin
    Participant

I also remember fishing the mouth of the Mak during mid January in ’96, the fishing was mad, so if this really is a return to the good ol days then the mouth of the waimak may be a good litmus test!!

cinick
    Participant

Thanks Kevo85,
    If the rivers drop in time I’ll definiyely head that way. The mouth/surf is a bit intimidating to be honest. Shoulder to shoulder stuff reminds me of a crowded mall and I stay as far away from those as I can.

Kind of like the thought of looking for fish in a slightly less stressful and frantic fashion…. :)

yellowfin
    Participant

Lost fish number 4 today, but at least it was a decent fish this time. it was blowing a heavy NE at Waitaki Mouth, Hooked one finally, chased it about 50 meters down the rapids until I felt the line go slack. saw a good half dozen salmon pass me in the slower shallows, and another dozen trout.

only one caught on the south side, nothing on north side, the 18 and 24lb limit bag was confirmed by a friendly local, he said only a handfull of fish have been caught, apart from 2 guys who have caught 10 this week in their secret hole and they wont tell anyone, (i know where they are ;) )

I did manage to land an OLD brown trout that was clearly on its way out to die, blind in one eye, slabby, scratched to hell and bleeding all over the place, in my hands it felt about 10lb, if it had been healthy it would have been an easy 15/16lb fish. released him and he sat in the current for about 4 hours before slipping out to sea. (damn camera packed up and didnt get any photos :( )

yellowfin
    Participant

Rakaia surf was nice tonight no waves but the salmon were not on the bite.

CharlesSmith
    Participant

Hi im new to the forum so here is my first post :grin:
    A new fishing mate convinced me to venture up with him to fish the Hurunui south side surf yesterday. We arrived there around 5am to excellent conditions with the river around 55QM the south side surf was nice and clear afew salmon breaking the surface with my mates fish being the only one taken that morning.

yellowfin
    Participant

so much rain!!

anyone got an idea how long it takes for the Waitaki to clear after a good dumping of rain. Looks like im making other plans for the weekend :(

I need to get this monkey off my back, and the weather is not helping.

yellowfin
    Participant

Rakaia and Rangitata Mouth south side could be good on Sunday. Swell is 1m and southwest wind changing to northwester if the fish haven’t already run up the river.

CharlesSmith
    Participant

Greeneman

cinick
    Participant

Hi again guys,
    So I’m hoping that the rivers drop enough to get out and try for a salmon before I head away with the kids on Wed.

Kind of excited to give this a crack and the 4X4 has been packed since Fri :)

I’m kinda thinking that I’ll take Kev’s advice and head to the middle reaches of the Rakaia river but have no idea what sort of level the river becomes fishable at. I’ll sleep in the 4X4 but have to be home Monday night as have a fly fishing trip planned for Mon.

Is it worth taking the quad down to fish the middle reaches (which I’m guessing are still below the highway bridge) or would I be wasting my time and be towing a trailer for no benefit?

Not overly keen to fish the surf as I dont want to upset anyone by casting over them……..been 15 years since I threw the 6500………could be a disaster in the surf! :-)

Also, what sort of level does it become fishable???

Thanks again,

Gofish270
    Participant

Usually below 200 cumecs its coming right. A few variables, like the silt load etc. Lure fishing can start earlier.
    Check the ECAN site for levels at the gorge, that water takes a few hours to get down.

yellowfin
    Participant

CharlesSmith

cinick
    Participant

Thanks GoFish. Have been watching the water level :ugeek: …..but scratching my head as to what was o.k to fish so appreciate the help.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.