salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

nah have not even been thinking of it, too busy into surfcasting lol, am yet to get my licence, though saw a salmon the other day at mak mouth while out in the dinghy it surfaced/jumped right by my mates flounder net while we went to check it

burkefish
    Participant

they have been getting one or two up there. been few splashing around most that have been caught are in the 18 to 25lb range. unfortunately i haven’t been attached to one yet. getting very interesting around the kaiapoi mouth.

yellowfin
    Participant

ill see you on point after freesh larry i think, havnt been down there much this season yet cheers for info

yellowfin
    Participant

solid fish tom

why cant they get em at the kaiapoi mouth if they are getting them up river, seems as though the anglers are putting in the effort at the confluence.

more importantly, I hope the salmon have got their navigation systems going well cause they will need it. :lol: , hopefully make the Rakaia mouth better than it has been while ive been down those ways

also know of fish caught in the waitaki too… family friend limited the other day with an 18 and 24 pounder

burkefish
    Participant

it just seems to happen like sometimes, especially at the begining of the season. have been one to two taken there, should start building up when river clears maybe with a bit of luck by the weekend.

kbel
    Participant

Maybe the weekend after at the earliest by the way the rivers are looking right throughout canterbury.
    This was posted at 10am Wednesday the 2nd of January. Over 250mm of rainfall has fallen along the Alpine Divide and a similar amount is expected today. The heavy rain is currently in the headwaters of the Rakaia and Waimakariri rivers but will move north into the catchments of the Hurunui and Waiau rivers by early afternoon and out of this area this evening. As predicted yesterday those four rivers will be raging torrents today and tomorrow (further south the Waitaki and the Rangitata are also up). The outlook after that is for clearing weather.

yellowfin
    Participant

A magic fish Tom..well done!!

yellowfin
    Participant

yes the hurinui was clean when i drove over yesterday morning/last night too

burkefish
    Participant

has been about 500mm all along the main divide, still raining at over 20mm hour(12.30pm), rakaia currently at 2,000cm rangi 1200cm mak still on the rise, 4 metres at the esk. expect it wiil get close to 1500cm if it stops rainig over there, seems to have eased further south. think i will do some painting for the next few days!!!!!!

yellowfin
    Participant

not what i wanted to hear when i wanna go floundering!! but oh well to hot to paint it will dry to fast lol

yellowfin
    Participant

Gonna Hit the canals to get my fix!!! Bloody rain!

burkefish
    Participant

probably be a different river when it clears trying to find the holes and runs again. hopefully it won’t bring down the slimy mud as that can take a week or too to settle. the up side is that there will probably be a good run, the trick is to be there when it happens.

cinick
    Participant

Hi guys, avid fly fisherman who hasnt fished for salmon since hay day of the mid 90’s but with all the early action I have got itchy feet.

I have hunted out the old school gorilla stick, respooled the 6500 and bought a few of the latest white and green zeedee’s.

The weather is looking like screwing up my plans as I had a leave pass for Fri – Mon to fish anywhere I wanted, looking like I might be back to the 5wt flyrod on a springer somewhere….

However, if per chance the rivers cleared, or even later on when they finally do….what would be your call as to what i should take/tow on each of the following rivers for a 3 day trip?

Rangi, Rakaia and Hurunui.

I have a 4X4 Quad, a 3.8m ali hulled inflatable (25HP outboard) and a caravan…..unfortunately the truck can only tow one at a time :-(

Would appreciate any help at all and if anyone see’s a clown making a dick of himself with a birdsnet in his reel……..say hi! :)

Also, has anyone ever tried “Spin n Glows”. They use em alot in Canada and I brought a bunch back when I was over visiting the inlaws……tempted to give em a crack……

burkefish
    Participant

spinn glows would work in the mak at mcintoshs or any deep hole you can find, as need (i think) to be fished deep ,snags could be a problem.

kbel
    Participant

Well one positive would be that this flooding will surely clean out ant didimo that was in our riverbeds.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.