salmon season 2012-13

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 668 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

greeneman, campground at the mouth or at balmoral bridge..

Hurunui is my main river as I live not far away, would be surprised if there were fish up there yet
    (ive got all mine below the highway bridge on the way to kaikoura)

yellowfin
    Participant

Up around state highway 7 bridge not sure on the exact location as brother in laws secret spot. Spoke to the chap at the tackle shop and he said he saw one in the north branch while fly fishing. Might be a few around as I didn’t see many brown trout. Must have slipped into the river early Dec. It was still quite silver but had lost a bit of condition.

Stufish
    Participant

Nice Fish greeneman. I fished waimak mouth out going tide this a.m didn’t even stop up at mac,s rocks as heaps and heaps of vehicles parked up. Mouth was looking good was there only 10 minutes before the lucky bugger beside me hooked a big one great fight and once landed my fishing buddy weighed it for him and it was 24 lb so thought we were in for a good day but alas only one other caught before 1pm when i left that was south side and looked rather small. Well done to the bloke with the 24 lber. hope you have a bloody big fridge…….. :)

yellowfin
    Participant

Proves the first one earlier in the year wasn’t a fluke.
    Have a few jobs to do around the house before I go back down to the rocks/mouth but if there are some big salmon around I might have to pop down for a look. Any big schools of Kahawai/Kingfish at the Waimak like last year?
    I bought some wet flies to have a go at the sea run trout up by the waimak bridges in the evenings. Bit dubious about putting an 8lb leader/rig in case I get a salmon on.

Stufish
    Participant

Plenty of kahawai last year not so much to date this year but still enough and they are big again and yes you might need heavier leader at bridge as i know of 2 salmon hammering the light stuff there. rakaia coming up in flood now and waimak wont be far behind and it does not look good for a fish this week but it should entice more fish in.

yellowfin
    Participant

hows the Rangitata looking for the week? im hoping to make my way up on 1st or 2nd. Had eyes on the Rakaia, but if in flood no point in the long drive.

burkefish
    Participant

had 100mm of rain at mistake flat in last two days. might be out for a few days.

yellowfin
    Participant

I spoke to a chap today and he reckoned there had been 3 kingfish caught so far. Not so many Kahawai as last year. Wife got smoked by a big salmon today at the Waimak mouth Went straight over to the south side and then broke off at the zeddy. She cranked up the drag but she was only using a half blood knot so I showed her the blood knot. Fish came up so she probably gave it too much slack. Apparently felt like a piece of seaweed til it took off.

yellowfin
    Participant

yellowfin
    Participant

yellowfin
    Participant

yellowfin
    Participant

Looks a beauty, how heavy and where did you catch it?

yellowfin
    Participant

22lber mate

yellowfin
    Participant

Great fish tom, Can tell by your smile your happy with that one,

yellowfin
    Participant

cheers mate :grin:
    have you been seeing many or hearing much on what they getting up poi i havnt heard alot yet

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 668 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.