Salmon Season -2011/2012

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 430 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Anything happening at the mouths of the rakaia and mak?

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Dunno abouth the Rakaia this week but the Mak mouth is very quiet still. I saw one caught last night and none unitl I left at 7.30 this morning. I call into Mackies on the way past and a guy was carry one back to his truck. I think it was the only one caught. The Kahawai are going nuts at the mouth tho with a fish every cast for the guys that are chasing them.

yellowfin
    Participant

1 caught and 3 hooked at the mouth tonight..lots of kahawai!!

yellowfin
    Participant

A secound fish was landed after you left kevo,,,,and the ky came back in.

Participant

Managed a nice 15 pounder myself tonight

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

I got there about 7.45pm and heard 2 had been landed. A young fella got a good fish just down from me and his mate lost one. Looked like one caught on the south side too. I had a quick look at Mackies this morn after fishing the mouth and saw a chap with a real nice fish in the bag. They are starting to come thru at last.

gunnercoops
    Participant

My mates lad caught a nice one yesterday evening, on a small lure and 6 lb line, he did really well getting it in. Another one hooked and lost by his Dad…..imagine the trip home!!

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

It’s been interesting to see a number of the fish caught at the mouth so far have been taken on a fast retreive and not very deep. Also closer to the surf. I wonder if they are still feeding and not ready to go up the river yet. The next fresh should bring them in I reckon.

burkefish
    Participant

the fish i got 26 jan was still digesting its last meal. great condition 31″ (79cm) long, 19″ (48cm) girth.

fisho
    Participant

where did u catch it? at mouth of kaiapoi river.? what had it been feeding on? weight?

burkefish
    Participant

15lb, appeared to be krill or scrimp like. have only caught 4 heavier at this length in last 25 years, the heaviest was 18.5-1993, 18-2004,16.5-1994, and 16-2005. 15lb is the average and therefore top condition for a 31″ fish. this is from what i have caught in the last 25 years.

yellowfin
    Participant

on my travels today i saw one salmon caught in the kaiapoi about 9-10lb at a guess and then saw one up the mak near banana hole at a guess 12-14lb

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Fished the Rakaia mouth this morning. Saw one caught and dropped one myself, both in the gut. Glad to have at least hooked one as I was losing faith in salmon this season :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Spent a few hours at Mcintoshes yesterday afternoon. Didn’t catch anything and the only person I saw catching fish was a guy getting some kahawai while bait fishing.

burkefish
    Participant

a bit of fish activity at macintoshs today with rises and one or two on top trying to surf. know of four caught and a couple lost. looks like some are pooling up hopefully.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 430 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.