Salmon Season -2011/2012

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 430 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Well done Kev, i’m still after the first one.

yellowfin
    Participant

Good old Kevo, taking where he left off last season.Be a good chap and leave a couple for the the rest of us mere mortals.
    The next time I see you I am gonna check behind your ears for gills.Hehehehe

Participant

“>

Nice fish kev……
    10lb caught last week

yellowfin
    Participant

Nice mate..Anthony had said you had caught another, much happening at the mak or has it slowed down?

Participant

Yeh m8 its slowed right down have not seen a salmon caught for two days now …
    Although most anglers seem more interested in chasing the kahawai at moement …
    Great fun on light gear …

Liam
    Participant

Had a poke down at the waimak today, only one caught at the mctosh’s nothing at the mouth (up until 12 o clock). However a small numbers of kingfish have been taken around the mouth.

yellowfin
    Participant

I’m not feeling the love for salmon fishing at the mo..but did buy some gear so I could have a crack at a kingfish, will have a go today :P

yellowfin
    Participant

Are they catching the kingfish on the standard salmon lures?

And are they right at the mouth or inside the mouth a bit?

Liam
    Participant

Not sure where exactly they caught them ( i didn’t see them caught) but out in the surf where everyone goes after kawai. Yea they were caught on ticers and using a really fast retrieve.

Participant

Yeh vip_ yo salmon ticers, salmon gear guy who caught big kingfish caught it on 15 pound line and was chasing salmon at the time of hookup,job well done i must say….
    Caught well inside mouth where river narrows at low tide …

yellowfin
    Participant

One of the kingis I saw caught last friday was on a blue fox jig with a blue head.

yellowfin
    Participant

I got a couple 250gram lures that the guy at complete angler recommended. None of the other kingfish type lures were heavy enough to get any distance on the cast. Might not even get around to using them, depends if I have time and the conditions are good. Wouldn’t expect the kingies to be around for much longer as I’ve never heard of them being around like this before.

yellowfin
    Participant

The kingfish usually arrive in canterbury waters around feb so are early.When the conditions are right ;nice smooth seas with lots of kahawai around , the kingies will be there. The weather pattern over the summer will keep them around.

brumoo
    Participant

Hi All Have a look here http://www.nzsalmonanglers.co.nz then go to gallery to see a pic of a kingfish caught at waimak mouth

Miliwolf
    Participant

Spent after tea fishing the Wairau for Salmon, covered a lot of ground and nice looking spots were few. Still found enough water to fish, but caught nothing apart from sticks and a broom plant.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 430 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.