Salmon Season -2011/2012

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 429 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 430 total)
  • Author

burkefish
    Participant

the lower waimak is still experiencing a small run of fresh salmon. my cousin had a ‘lay’ day today and didn’t catch a fish,neither did I but 2 fresh run 12lb jacks were caught and 1or2 hooked and lost, fish were active for part of the tide. it was a great day pleasent conditions with sun on the back, great company with about 10 fishing our spot and some on the other side and a couple of boats out. salmon fishing is special enjoy seeing someone catching a fish and watching and helping newbies hook and land their first fish. weather has been weird this year, dressed up like it was winter during the summer and now dressed like its summer in autumn. maybe the fish sense this and thats why there is a bit of a late run. well got two more days off, hope the weather holds.

burkefish
    Participant

another good day on the river weather wise, salmon were a bit quiet hookingup wise. enough splashing around to keep you interested, 1 caught on the other side. 1 more day this week then work. first blank day for our spot in 10 days, not bad for april.

brumoo
    Participant

HELP ENCHANCE YOUR SALMON FISHERY
    On Saturday 5 May we are getting together to go up to One Tree Swamp &
    Porters to put our Incubators instream ready for our first supply of eyed
    Ova. Come along and give us a hand & also see some wonderful spawning
    country. Gather at Yaldhurst Pub Carpark to leave at 0830 am. F&G are
    starting to strip Salmon so we could expect to get Ova supply in approx
    month to 6 weeks so we need to be ready.

yellowfin
    Participant

Beautiful afternoon for fishing down at the Mac Rocks. Saw one caught on the south bank of the Kaiapoi, one on a boat just before low tide. Not bad considering only 12 people and end of April. Could be good for Wednesday with a morning low tide and after the river clears after today’s rain.

LongbowMan
    Participant

Any news down at the rocks lately?

Last I was down there was Sunday, I got a 5lb Searun and saw a 9lb Salmon caught but since then I think the river came down discoloured.

burkefish
    Participant

mak at 63cumac would be clear, still might be the odd fish around will try sat morning ,good tides, like to get a may fish. know someone who got a fresh 20lb fish 20th may last year.

hookusup
    Participant

LongbowMan
    Participant

Haven’t had a chance to pop down at all, are there still fish around or has it finally come to a stand still?

burkefish
    Participant

went down for a fish today only 4 of us there, 4 fresh fish sighted but we couldn’t catch up with them. hit and probably more miss now but it was good to be out in the sun and get some exercise. must be an invasion of stargazers judging by how many the shags were catching.

yellowfin
    Participant

spotted about 20 fish today, moving up a slow section of the Lieth Stream in the middel of town. 2 or 3 single figure fish, the rest sitting easily between 12 and 16lb, with one big old lurker pushing 20lb.
    good excuse to get up early in the morning and see if anything is sitting in the mouth at the harbour.

i got alittle video footage, will see how it turns out tonight.

LongbowMan
    Participant

Well this is the last weekend before I head away on Holiday for 3 weeks so I’m thinkin of going out for a fish if they are still hanging around.

Anyone been down at all? Have they all gone yet or?

burkefish
    Participant

should be one or two around often a small run in may. you might get lucky. you are always in with a chance as long as your line is in the water.

yellowfin
    Participant

spent a few hours at the mouth of the Leith at high tide today but got bored and when for a drive to catch a 9lb Rainbow instead.

yellowfin
    Participant

Jezza

kbel
    Participant

Its great to see that there are salmon spawning not far from Kaiapoi.In fact the most I have ever seen in my local stream.They have been hard at it for about three weeks now and most of them have finished spawning then guarding the redd and have now died.Are there any reports on salmon numbers in the high country spawning grounds this year?

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 430 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members