Salmon Season -2011/2012

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 430 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

i might try an early morning during the week at the mouth of the Leith, its good to hear some fish are still trying to run the Leith, i remember them running in decent shoals as late as June/July a few years back.

I will probably fish the Clutha next week, just before Roxbrugh.

burkefish
    Participant

still fresh fish being caught at macintoshs, 4 tuesday and 4 today also saw a few. thought i had one but after 5 minutes found it to be a large kahawai (6-7 lbs) that thought it was a salmon by the way it fought, sent it on its way safely. the fish being caught now seem to be mainly hens after a time of mainly catching jacks.

yellowfin
    Participant

Had a go at the Leith around lunch time today. Nothing doing although I saw a splash over the other side by the rocks which gave me hope. Theres gotta be the odd salmon still going in there.

yellowfin
    Participant
    burkefish
    Participant

there seems to be a fresh lot of salmon ‘pooling up’ at machintoshs judging by the activity there today.fish were active while I was there from 7.30am to 2.00pm. seem to be smaller than previous lot (4-5 lb to 12-14lb). managed to get a 10.5 lb fresh run jack that was very inmature. the lastest by 2 weeks I have caught in a season. visited the hatchery yesterday as I have done at this time of the year for the last 20 odd years, they have sofar had the best return for the last 3 years or so the fish are also away off being ready. maybe we are having an extended season this year.

yellowfin
    Participant

Many thanks for the excellent fishing reports. I think I’ll give the salmon a go on the weekend!

burkefish
    Participant

unfortunately I’m working for the next 4 days so txt is my only contact with the fishing,but have 4 days off from tuesday. know of 1 fish caught and released today with a lot of other activity. will be hounding those I know with txts who are fishing this weekend. (3 months to retirement as of today)

burkefish
    Participant

well a cousin managed 2 salmon today, 1 legal the other foulhooked- said it took him half an hour to land and release and was about 16lb. the other was 10lb, thats 4 fish hes hooked in the last 4 days. he also released a 12lb legal caught fish the other day. uses a lot lighter line than me and not the usual terminal gear. haven’t heard of anything else apart from some fish seen at the banana hole and a couple caught there thursday.

burkefish
    Participant

well its been happening while I work fishing mate got a double today both 12lb, 1 other caught and 2 lost. all fresh run, great for this time of the year. by my count thats 13 this week where we fish probably the second best week since the beginning of march. the good thing is that there have a constant flow of fish, instead of a lage run of two days or so then nothing for several days. hope there might 1 left for me as i have 4 days off this week and that means as my partner is away for 10 days planning for plenty of time on the river.

burkefish
    Participant

well that cousin of mine has done it again,txt me at work 9.30am ‘got a 15lb jack in excellent condition’ then at 10.40am ‘got a 10lb fish realeased it on way home.’ he has this philosophy that if he catches two fish even if he lets 1 or both go ,that it for the day. hope he’s left 1 or 2 for me as I’m looking forward to the next 4 days out there. he also said another fish was caught as he was leaving.

burkefish
    Participant

well he did it again, 4 of us had been fishing for about an hour and a half, seen 2 fish caught on the other side. along comes cousin taking his time , exchanges hellos gets some ragging about yesterday and what do you know!!!!! about 5 minutes later he latches on to a fish and lands a fresh run 10 lb fish. talk about a roll 7 fish in as many days. there was another fish caught later on and some splashing around, looks promising for tomorrow.

yellowfin
    Participant

burkefish, where was this? Still lower waimak? Weather has been great last few days but wasn’t sure if all the fish are way upstream now (i.e. long drive). If not might try and sneak out for an hour or two tomorrow, work permitting. Thanks mate…

brumoo
    Participant

Hi all if anyone has some pics of salmon they have caught can they send it to me please and will post on http://www.nzsalmonanglers.co.nz will need name and size and where and when caught thanks Bruce Moody @ brumoo@paradise.net.nz Thanks

yellowfin
    Participant

Caught Waitangi Day, Upper Hurunui river, trout gear size2 Veltec. Unfortunatly got the birdnest on my Abu6500 and resorted to chasing trout with my threadline,few casts later this is the end result,an 11lb hen in slightly poor condition. My 2nd ever salmon.

yellowfin
    Participant

No.3, Caught @ the Mak rocks 7lb

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 430 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.