Salmon Season – 2010/2011

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 407 total)
  • Author
    gunnercoops
    Participant

spent a few hours down at Macintosh rocks this evening, saw two fish swim by and the bloke next to me caught a nice fish, only one I saw caught, left at 7.30……still waiting for my first salmon.

yellowfin
    Participant

Anything happining at the rakaia this last day or two?

yellowfin
    Participant

Still dirty yesterday.

Might be ok today upriver.

baitman
    Participant

havn’t heard any reports of fish but the rakaia looks great.

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Spent a few hours this arvo in the boat at Mackys but saw no salmon caught. I foul hooked a good kahawai which felt like a snag for the first 30 seconds and never put up any fight. Strange for a kahawai not to go nuts. I went down to the mouth and zig zagged the channel using the sounder to try to find a deep patch but found it is pretty much the same the whole width, no wonder catch rates have been low there. It was about 2.5m max right in the middle. Break out the 14ft rods I reckon !

yellowfin
    Participant

What was the surf like at the mouth? does it look filthy with this easterly?

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

yeah the surf was messy as. The water was much cleaner up by the kaiapoi but started to colour up with the incoming tide. I think I will give up on the mouth unless a better channel forms, its just too wide and the fish arent funneled through a narrow area like last year. Going to get up at 3am tomorrow and check out the Orari/Opihi surf. I have a feeling it will fire tomorrow !

Participant

Was down mackys this morning alot of people out trying there luck,just over 40 cars in carpark with 16 boats out very busy only seen two salmon caught up untill leaving both from the boats……..

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Went to the Opihi first light and saw two caught in the gut with about 40 people fishing. Tried the surf but no good so went to the Orari to check out the surf. Still dirty in the surf there but had a try anyway with no luck. The Rangi and Rakaia are starting to look good and I would be surprised if a few arent taken this weekend

yellowfin
    Participant

Planning on getting the kayak out on monday to drift a section of the rakaia in search of good water..should be fish right through now!!

yellowfin
    Participant

does anyone no if they are catching many salmon in the kaiapoi mouth

Participant

1 salmon from rocks yest arvo…. 1 from boat early this morning… very quite at moe

yellowfin
    Participant

Think there will be salmon right up the waimak yet or is it still a tad early? Weighing up whether to go to mackies or upriver tomorrow, would be good to know just incase upriver is a waste of time!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Fish have been caught right up to the gorge area. The river is clear up there so you will need light gear, 10lb line and small as spinners.

yellowfin
    Participant

i talked to a guy that came into work toaday and hes said he got his limit bag up the mak upriver on wednesday

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 407 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.