Salmon Season – 2010/2011

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 407 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

It’s actually fishing better 2 hrs after high this season mate,it’s very shallow around low and often gets a bit dirty at that stage!!

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

With it so shallow I wonder how long before everyone starts using 12 footers in the mouth at high tide just to get out far enough.

yellowfin
    Participant

I said that to a mate the other day,the channel is out of range for most anglers,if I had a surf rod I’d be pumping it out into the river as far as I could to cover the best water!!

Participant

Hate to say it guys but we need another good fresh to sort that mouth out…..(buggur) I have been spending more time down mackys than at the mouth at the moe.Hey gunnercoops fishing mackys anytime could see you getting into a fish as the fish have been very erractic when they seem to turn up this season, for instances…. the day six were caught on the rocks it was at low tide yet two days later nothing at all was caught at the low tide but they turned up in good numbers two hours on the incoming tide that day 11 caught ……

yellowfin
    Participant

Hmmm,I’m not sure if another fresh is what we need right at the mo,I’d prefer we gave the wind and tide a chance to bring the mouth back to it’s natural position for a change as another big flood is more than likely going to keep it wide and shallow..imo :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

iv beeen told that the mak is poluted that theres a sign at the mouth saying polution in the river is this true

yellowfin
    Participant

I haven’t seen it mate..the waimak has always been polluted tho!!

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

I reckon a massive easterly swell for a few days would fix it. I havent crossed the bar recently and probably wouldnt until there is a more defined channel to go thru. As for the polution, I wouldnt eat a resident trout from the lower river but will hapily eat salmon or kahawai from anywhere in the waimak. They havent spent enough time in there to be a risk I reckon.

yellowfin
    Participant

How many boats out at Macs on a typical day?..I wonder if I could squeeze in between them in my float tube??

Participant

Had’nt seen a sign down mackys so did abit of checking ……

Unsafe Recreational Water Quality at Waimakariri River
    Thursday, 10 February 2011, 10:40 am
    Press Release: Canterbury District Health Board
    February, 10, 2011

Health Warning – Unsafe Recreational Water Quality at Waimakariri River

The Community and Public Health division of Canterbury District Health Board has issued a health warning after high levels of faecal bacteria were found in consecutive samples taken from the Waimakariri River at the boat ramp.
    “Water quality at affected sites is not considered suitable for recreational uses, including swimming because of the risk to health from the bacteria and other pathogens. Eating fish or shellfish from these sites should also be avoided.”
    Water contaminated by human or animal faecal matter may contain a range of disease causing micro-organisms such as viruses, bacteria and protozoa.
    “In most cases the ill-health effects from exposure to contaminated water are minor and short-lived. However, there is the potential for more serious diseases, such as hepatitis A, giardia, cryptosporosis, campylobacter and salmonella,” Dr Humphrey says

Was no bloody sign warning of this down mackys……

yellowfin
    Participant

yh u would be able to kev they tend to spread out but i dont tend to c many on the south side of the river

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Does anyone know if you can get down the Kaiapoi river at low tide in a boat at the moment ?

yellowfin
    Participant

i was fishing the kaiapoi mouth 3 weeks ago and dermit went through at low tide in his yello boat

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Thanks Tom, I will be down there tomorrow but will take it real slow just in case. Is Dermit the chap who has done some vids for youtube ?

yellowfin
    Participant

yup thats the guy he has a accent really nice guy and nos what hes doing

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 407 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.