Salmon season: 2008/2009

Posted By fishsnatcher On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 25 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  fishsnatcher 10 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

craytail
    Participant

Just been down to Rakaia on Wednesday, 11th Feb and fished from early morning. About ten fish landed in boats. six hooked on one side of the river,three caught/three lost and three lost on the other side. Some of the locals said it was better fishing the day before but it sounds like its fishing quite well in the mornings at the mouth but not so good up river yet. probably some more fish caught that day had to get back to that horrible thing called work but i left with one fish about 10 lbs the first for the season under the belt if your after the salmon you should try the rakaia mouth out it seems to be fishing better than some.

BobBond00Salmon
    Participant

If anyone/Alan has any info on numbers of salmon being caught at the waimak at the moment, …it would be great to hear. I’m trying to ambush one up river : )

yellowfin
    Participant

So how is the season going? At about 1 posting per month on this site we’re starving for news! Assume its because you’re all so busy hauling them in you don’t have time to write! Would really like a run-down of all/any river, upstream and surf, size, condition, fishing pressure… and how it compares to last year…c’mon guys!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Heard of a fewl Salmon being caught upstream in the Wairau at the moment. Have not seen any being caught at the mouth but everyone there is targeting Kahawai. Might have a few flicks myself to see if I can catch something.

Saw a Salmon being caught at the mouth of the Clarence a month or so back.

This is all that I know about Salmon in the Marlborough rivers this year. (Salmon fishing is much to boring for me)

BobBond00Salmon
    Participant

fishfox

Miliwolf
    Participant

Have heard of more fishing being caught in the Wairau, both at the mouth and further upstream.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

For those anglers in the area a few salmon are being caught in the Taieri around Outram, and according to the fish and game a 24lb salmon was landed out of the clutha and a few are around the dam wall at Roxburough atm.

Another thing to note, kahawai have been around the Dunedin area a bit more this year, I have heard on fishing.net that a guy caught some on the fly, and a few have been caught trolling.

Yakkaman
    Participant

Yes. I guess not to many Salmon anglers frequent this site.
    I successfully ambushed my first salmon up river on the waimak last sat. Very pleased about that.
    I have fished the Rakaia, tentburn, rangi and waimak this year. Rangi was great, Rakaia not so great, tentburn..fish are about and running into the trap but very little caught from reports (I go there often). Waimak mouth is the only place I have heard very little about. Went down last sat morning, 70 odd anglers but not a fish caught. Later fished a fav spot up river andresulting in a nice 13lb jack..

3rd fish for the season.

Edit: 5 fish

Give me a call i’ll come with you to your favourite spot too :lol:

BobBond00Salmon
    Participant

I would, but i feel all the fish have gone up stream and the holes are drying up. I do hope there is a late run and that someone reports if any decent number caught around the mouth : )

BobBond00Salmon
    Participant

Well she’s pretty much over rover. took one more after the last fresh on the Mak (6 for the season). I must say that hole at groyne 26 is a lovely bit of water…and holding some nice trout (saw 1 sloshing round in the gut directly under the ripples) Ive never fished groyne 26 but did a recky to it last sat, and spent the arvo on it. I’m sure a few salmon were taken from there over the season.

Over the next month I will be photographing various spawning rivers. I do enjoy witnessing that final & begining stage of the life cycle. We are very lucky indeed to have such a magnificent fish exist in our water ways.

G

Miliwolf
    Participant

I believe the odd fish is still being taken in the Wairau. I have my theory that during the summer the sea temperature is to warm for the Salmon so they do not start running up the Marlborough rivers until later in the year. But we only get a fraction of the numbers you guys get in Canterbury.

Hoping to check out a few of the spawning streams this year.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members