Salmon Season 2007 / 2008

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 37 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Booger

yellowfin
    Participant

There’s been on of them at Macintoshes almost every time I’ve fished there in the last few weeks.

yellowfin
    Participant

Good Friday was a boomer at the mouth of the Waimak with too many fish to count taken before lunch, both north & south banks firing well. Saturday tapered off considerably with only a handful caught even though conditions were perfect. Sunday the same, the gut, fishing the best but still not great no.s landed, although a few fish lost, on the north side anyway, the sea very stirred up outside the mouth though. Very large strong fighting Kahawai have made an appearance again after an absence of about a month although not in great no.s. Hoping tommorrow( Easter Mon) will see things pick up again, prob be my last full-on foray to the mouth for the season if things dont improve. Maybe a few upriver trips left in the season, anglers I have talked to report good no.s of fish upriver, but not so many landed, so… might almost be time to put the Salmon rods away for another season.

BobBond00Salmon
    Participant

4 Days fishing
    Fri Waimak mouth
    Sat Waimak mouth, Then up river (many fish seen)
    Sunday up river. (more fish seen)
    Today Tentburn. 3 fish landed (couple lost) late arvo…quite a crap day (big sea in the afternoon).

Fridge empty!

yellowfin
    Participant

Easter Monday, Kairaki/Waimak mouth: Fished from daybreak til about 3pm, only 7 fish caught from nth side, 2 from sth side, that I saw. Salmon rods going into hibernation, well all except my upriver rod.

BobBond00Salmon
    Participant

Keep the updates coming people. Still a month left and there could be a late run??
    :shock: yeah right!

Im also keen to learn more about the hot spots up river. I did find a couple of good holes above the pylons, with plenty of fish entering the pool, but not one bite. I think they are focussed on the mission.

With all the good numbers of fish running the rangi this year, the Rakaia just never fired compared…interesting.
    I do believe a good number of fish entered the rakaia this season, but wasn’t reflected in the catch numbers.

yellowfin
    Participant

took a look at the mouth this morning could count on one hand how many people i saw fishing there in the 30 min i was there lol

fishsnatcher
    Participant

I know not many people here fish the Waitaki [and this forum has been dead for a while so it may take a long time for a reply] but does it tend to fish later in the season [more into feb-march?] like some of the northern salmon rivers?

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members