Salmon Season 2007 / 2008

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 37 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author

BobBond00Salmon
    Participant

Anyone have any recent reports on the Salmon runs in any of our salmon rivers…I have heard the Waimak is firing?
    I fished tentburn and took my first season fish last weekend. Only two landed for the whole day I was there…and plenty of fisherman.

yellowfin
    Participant

was down the waimak last weekend and have heard its beencrap and hasnt started to fire. unless it has started this week

yellowfin
    Participant

Apparently there were quite a few salmon caught yesterday at the waimak, but not many today.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yea the Mak is running pretty hot atm!! There hs been a humm round work about the last few days!!

yellowfin
    Participant

yea heard today from someone that is has fired up heard reports of 60 last week sumtime

yellowfin
    Participant

saw 4 caugt at bmx track today to landed both of great size and 2 lost

yellowfin
    Participant

Were the Kaiapoi salmon caught on bait? I thought about getting some pilchards but they look too big to use as whole bait for salmon, I’m thinking anchovies would be a more realistic size, though one guy I was talking to reckoned that salmon are quite attracted to the smell/taste of pilchards in particular.

yellowfin
    Participant

yes and yea if you get the southern bait pillies tyey are ideal size to use whole anchovies are also good although i thinkthey are fairly small the two i saw landed were about 15lb mayb bigger

BobBond00Salmon
    Participant

Booger

yellowfin
    Participant

BobBond00Salmon

yellowfin
    Participant

its abit hard to go downthe river further at the mouth when most anglers are in the mouth and to get to the south side you really need a 4wd or boat to get to it from pretty much brooklands

yellowfin
    Participant

Has anyone hit up Jim Anderton about stopping trawlers from taking salmon yet? I’m tempted to write him a letter, you go into the supermarkets and there is a ton of salmon for sale, and I’ll bet it didn’t come from a salmon farm. Correct me if I’m wrong here, but to me it looks like Fish & Game have been putting effort in increasing salmon numbers, but who’s benefiting more – the commercial fishermen or the recreational fishermen?
    I was at the waimak for 2-3 hours today and yesterday, and the south bank at the mouth seems to be a lot more successful right now. I counted 80 fishermen on the north bank with 50 4wds parked nearby, and didn’t see any of them catch anything but saw about 5 fish caught at the south.
    I got asked for my fishing license by a ranger because he didn’t know me and said I was using ‘strange gear’ – no point in buying gear just for a few weeks of salmon fishing when a surfcaster can cast a ticer just fine, and out of the 100+ people I was the only one I could see not wearing waders.
    I hooked up to a whopper yesterday – two guys in a boat! I cast out into the middle of the waimak and they suddenly took off in their boat, taking my lure with them at a great speed.

yellowfin
    Participant

All go at Macintoshes this morning. Saw about 8 landed on the bank and as many from the boats while I was there (5:30 – 10:30). Including my first salmon, so I’m pretty cuffed right now.

BobBond00Salmon
    Participant

grimace

yellowfin
    Participant

Prop sized, glasses, bright orange jumper. Was there from half 5 till half 11. Fished halfway along the stand of trees when you turn right at the end of the track.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members