Salmon Season 2007 / 2008

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 37 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Was on the Rakaia and Rangi this week end. Some good sea runners about (two monsters hooked on suicide point on the Rangi on light spinning gear – one landed – looked at least 8lbs.

Anyone see any salmon?

yellowfin
    Participant

Wednesday 7 November : 3 salmon from the Rangi, one from the Rakaia. It has started! Bring it on.

yellowfin
    Participant

Anybody got any from the waimak? Thought I’d head out this avo round the high tide.

BobBond00Salmon
    Participant

Ok, this forums a bit quiet, so I’ll start with a wee blurb on my fishing on the Rakia yesterday.
    Well it was my first day at the rakia for the season, the river was clear but not very busy.
    I hooked one Salmon half way down the beach and it subsequently took off to china (I just couldn’t stop it) after 5-10 min it dropped the lure at least 100mtrs away. As I mention ed I just could stop this from running or turn it. Ive recently changed from my bulky stiff hard to cast river runner light (ha) to a shimano 6ft rod paired with a pen 965 with 24 lb line. It’s a nice caster but think I still need something with another foot or so to make it perfect.
    I still dont understand why i could not hold this fish!! maybe it was foul hooked? or a 6ft rod just hasn’t got the leverage. It also never broke the water. btw, the drag was very tight…tighter than ideal.

I later fished the gut and the surf where a few fish were landed, and we were all graced by the well known TV fisherman Geoff Thomas and his camera crew. Luckilly a few fish were taken after he arrived so not to put the great Rakia fishery to shame.

P.S anyone got a 4wheeler for sale? : )

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi,
    Sounds like that fish you had on might have been foul hooked which would have prevented you from turning it! Often when a salmon puts up an extra tough or unusual sort of fight the hook is buried some place other than it’s mouth. Sideways they are next to impossible to land. On the other hand it might have just been a very big strong salmon and the hook was only just holding anyway. We’ll never know which! It is a strange feature of salmon fishing that some blokes hook and loose quite a few fish each season whilst others land nearly every salmon they occasional manage to hook.
    Cheers Yellowfin

yellowfin
    Participant

i think using whole prawns that us surfcasters use for rig eles moki etc if fished under a float just like we would use with pillies at places such as the bmx track smiths st corner etc well i think it would be a good idea i should get my fishing licence finally and give this a crack. has anyone tried this before???

yellowfin
    Participant

Salmon have not fired up yet in the Waimakariri River. Despite reports of good salmon catches in the main salmon rivers to the south. The lower Waimakariri River is still only producing a handful of salmon each day. February and March are usually the best months for this river so lets hope we see good numbers soon. The Waimakariri River is very low and clear with there having been very little rain this season.

[b:3eq439so]Salmon caught on 2 February 2008 on the south bank of the Waimakariri River mouth[/b:3eq439so]. Yellowfin :)

yellowfin
    Participant

i was just thiking thattoday i havnt seenthe waimak in flood for ages. i think it coud proberbly do with one soon

BobBond00Salmon
    Participant

Was at the Rangi yesterday…Only a handful caught and mostly on the fly.
    Witnessed allot of porpoising and vertical jumping which is always cool to see, even if you’ve seen it a million :shock: times.
    So they are there or it may have just been the same one, all excited about the fresh water, sex and dieing!! :roll:

River Low and clear.

yellowfin
    Participant

Well guys whats the update? has anyone got any salmon? I went for a fish (surf casting) at the waimak mouth last saturday morning and F%$K me! there was about 3000 salmon fishos and the beach looked like a 4X4 car sales yard. POOR bloody salmon i say!I reakon the salmon dont bite the lure, I think they take a breath of water and 1 of the 3000 lures gags it! UN REAL! Never seen anything like it.

BobBond00Salmon
    Participant

NiNj@

yellowfin
    Participant

I was there the same Sat morning fishing near the front of the ‘picket-fence’ saw 5 fish landed all in great condition, left about 9am. Returned that evening with quite a brisk nor-east wind at my back & saw nothing landed . Spent last Sun(10th) jetboating above the Rakaia Gorge, alas the first fish of the season still eludes me!

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey all,
    Anyone able to tell me where the mouth of the Rakaia is at the moment in relation to the North & South banks(distance wise). Am hoping to get down there for a few days in the surf once the river/weather etc calm down.
    cheers.

BobBond00Salmon
    Participant

GMAN2907

BobBond00Salmon
    Participant

Hi all, Question for anyone that knows…
    Is there a camp site at the Rakia North bank huts?
    Is there one behind the boat ramp? Im lookin for somehwere to camp close-by for a few days…but not the Rakia Holiday park.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Gary

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members