salmon reels

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    hiwamk
    Participant

i need a new overhead can have some good ideas

yellowfin
    Participant

most of the shimano range should be ok

yellowfin
    Participant

You can’t go wrong with an Abu 6500. They are inexpensive, both new or used, parts are readily available, with several Christchurch tackle stores having pawls and worm gears in stock (they don’t carry parts for other less popular brands), very reliable, go forever (I have several that I have had for over 20 years). It is always a good idea to carry several salmon reels if you can afford them. That way if you get a horrid birds-nest you can quickly swap reels and fix up the tangle when you get home! The old Abu 6500s may not be as flash, or super smooth, as some of the new multi ball bearing models out nowadays, but when it comes to rugged relaibility they are hard to beat. Take a look here: https://fishingmag.co.nz/reel-abu6500.htm

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Well said Allan, that’s solid advice Hiwamk, take Allan’s word and go get one now before the season runs out.
    You will never regret buying quality and it is so bloody affordable right now thanks to the high NZ dollar.
    Do yourself a favour and don’t wait for the other brand pundits to confuse you, just take a look at the river bank, its just that simple…….

yellowfin
    Participant

SHIMANO all the way
    i will refuse to fish any other gear

yellowfin
    Participant

get a calcutta by shimano .. better tyhan everything on the maket today .. you can spend 700 dollars and a cutta will still stand longer .. if u are wishing to fish upriver a would go for a 2 or 3 hundred size shimano curado .. best upriver reel in my view wicked drag and good capacity for a light low profile .
    spinning shimano gear for macks rocks .. id use a shimano stella or stratic easy to maintain and wont get ruined by the ymak gunk ! casting didtance is good and u will get way more reel for you money !
    cheers

yellowfin
    Participant

searunner

yellowfin
    Participant

Diawa Luna is also a good option I used one this season and rate it , but buy on ebay and you will get it for 300 bucks nz instead of 600 if you buy here

yellowfin
    Participant

Have a gander at the Akios range of reels, full cast control with mag and centrifugal brakes- best casting reels made for the $

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.