Salmon Questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hi guys, I fish LBG from the rocks and I know zero about salmon. I’ve never seen a live one caught even. Anyway all the local fisherman down here in Timaru tell me that they sometimes catch salmon from the wharf and rocks here.

My tiny knowledge of salmon is that at a certain time of the year they run up the river they were born in and spawn. They don’t eat but they strike at spinners in annoyance apparently. And I think there is a season? The rest of the time they are out at sea?

So… what’s with this license? Never needed a license to catch a sea fish in my life. I presume salmon eat normally the rest of the year when they aren’t spawning so how do you target them? Can they be caught mid winter? How big do they get?

I don’t want to salmon fish the river. I just want to know how to target a salmon while I’m rock fishing. There’s no kingfish here (not in winter anyway) so I’m at a bit of a loss on what big fish I can target besides sharks… and salmon keeps getting mentioned.

rocky

Miliwolf
    Participant

I was hoping one of the Salmon anglers would have answered by now…

Salmon as a predator fish feed on smaller fish, so they would take small baitfish and also lures. During the Summer/Autumn they run up the rivers to spawn. You need a license to target Salmon when they are in the river, or when they are “within 500 meters of a river Mouth ( from the seaward side). River mouths cover all sources of freshwater which flows into the sea, including ‘blind rivers. When outside of the 500m fisheries rules apply which basically say “No person shall take Quinnat salmon by any method other than a rod and running line”. Size/bag limits might also apply.

They can be caught over Winter, in fact the beach in front of the Whaleway station in Kaikoura can be quite productive and is 500m away from any river mouths.

yellowfin
    Participant

Excellent! Thanks Miliwolf. Yay! An edible fish to target at last that doesn’t live on the bottom and feel like a gumboot on the line. Thankyou for the informative reply and good luck to you in your fishing endeavours.

rocky

yellowfin
    Participant

Salmon are certainly taken from the beach behind the old railway station in Kaikoura in the middle of winter. I took a group of young rugby players fishing there two years ago and they caught two salmon on the 29th of August; both on ticers. Most surfcasters only fish with bait and therefore are most unlikely to hook a salmon. In the sea off the Canterbury Coast 99 percent of the salmon’s diet was found to consist of sprats, red krill, and juvenile hoki. Salmon have to chase all three of these prey species through the water to catch them and so are used to the idea of chasing their dinner! There are certain to be a few salmon close to the rocks near Timaru even in winter but I’m certain you would need to fish for them on spinning gear rather than baited hooks. The best idea is to cast out baited hooks with one rod while spinning a ticer with a second rod. Even if you don’t get a salmon you might get a kahawai on the ticer. Worth a try! :grin:

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.