Salmon in the winter?

Posted By LongbowMan On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 5 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  LongbowMan 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

LongbowMan
    Participant

Now the season has been well and truly laid to rest, has anyone ever seen/heard or caught Salmon in the main Salmon rivers during winter?

I’ve heard stories of people seeing fish going through the Waimaik during mid winter but of course stories wouldn’t be so frequent given that almost no one fishes at the Waimak or Rakaia during winter.

I know it’d be a long shot but would having a few casts in the surf be an idea in the hopes of catching and actually feeding Salmon?

yellowfin
    Participant

I hear of them caught at kaikoura whalewatch all year round, so could be possible

burkefish
    Participant

one was caught at the banana hole on the mak at the end of may. have also heard of one or two at macintoshs. a person i was talking to recently said that a couple of years ago he was fishing between the bridges on the mak in the middle of june when he caught a fresh run salmon. said he didn’t know if it was a late one or an early one. have this theory that fish don’t keep to our time table. one of my cousins has observed salmon spawning in the headwaters of the mak in january. i also read somewhere ( i think in an old salmon anglers mag) that in june one year the rakaia had a 2 week run of salmon after what had been a poor season. so there is always a chance if your line is in the water.

yellowfin
    Participant

i know they run as late as July some years here in dunedin on the Leith stram, its always quite a spectical to see in the middle of the city. does not look like it will happen this year as there was a decent run towards beginning of may on the back of the king tide.

does anyone know what would consitute a king tide, i cant find the charts to see how high it was, i can see theres a peak 2.3m tide due around 4 July, how would this compare? it would be interesting to see if it results in the late runs we experiance here in dunedin.

burkefish
    Participant

100,000+ eyed ova planted in the porter river today in the wind and rain by 20 dedicated addicted salmon anglers. some might say we were mad but in 3 years it will be a different story. the total planted to date so far is about 250,000.

hookusup
    Participant

I know of one caught in august in the taramakau river on the west coast by a trout angler it was in sea fresh cond.
    one early salmon was caught in october in the grey river aswel.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members