Salmon

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hi guys

New to this forum. I normally use tackle tactics as other Hawkes Bay fisherman do. I posted a few question about Salmon fishing down south which no one was able to answer, someone suggested i ask around on this forum.

The missus is dragging me down to Wanaka for a couple of months in just over a week. I fugure its a good chance to acheive a couple of goals i set myself a while ago including shooting a thar, chamois and catching a salmon.

Had planned on fishing around the salmon farms for a Salmon. Are there a few around. What about Wanaka or Hawea? can Salmon be caught on fly this time of year from the lakes? Any advise at all would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Andy

yellowfin
    Participant

Lake Coleridge might be your best bet for salmon at this time of the year. Wanaka will at least have brown trout. Someone else on here might know more, otherwise try the fish & game website.

yellowfin
    Participant

Cheers Booger will look up Coleridge on a map. Only my second time down south so dont know the area at all.. i emagine most of the salmon will be spawning up the tributaries. Really keen to tick another species of the list if you know what i mean.

yellowfin
    Participant

I think the spawning would’ve finished a while ago but there are landlocked salmon in some lakes – They’re supposed to be quite small (around 2kg?) compared with the salmon that enter rivers to spawn from late spring to early autumn (5-15kg?). If you’re after a big salmon then you’re probably here at the wrong time. Once again, the fish and game site should have more info on this, and of course there’s this site too – have a look through some of the freshwater articles on here.

yellowfin
    Participant

coleridge i wioudnt say is any where near the vacinity of queenston/wanaka though

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah, depends if he’s flying down or driving down, it would be a bit of a detour if driving, but at least he’d have a chance of catching one there.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea thats if hes lucky of course lol :P caught alot of salmon there with different methods spinning flyfishing and spinnin with a fly behind a bubble float fav flys there were a dads favourite and cryndons creeper.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks Guys… :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.