Rod type?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Give Phil at tackle tactics a call.They had a 13 ft emblem instock last week when I was in the shop.
    Had a bit of a look at it quite light and slim and looked to be well made ( daiwas normally are ) Phil had a unbadged version at his fishing clubs casting day he got it out to @175 mtrs I think.

yellowfin
    Participant

You know what they cost? Also I see Discountfishingsupplies has the 13’6″ Solaris for $205, but Rodman doesn’t seem to think they’re any good?

yellowfin
    Participant

Ummmm 250 ish I think …enquiries@tackletactics.co.nz .Phil or Karen can answer your question.

Miliwolf
    Participant

The Solaris is a nice rod, casting 6oz sinkers would be pushing it a bit….. You should of brought the Axeon which st_paul was selling, it has already caught me a Lemon Shark, A Snapper and battled a Ray.

yellowfin
    Participant

I see the Axeon is only rated to 6oz/30lb line, whereas the Solaris is rated to 8oz/40lb line. If they rate it up to 8oz, I’d say it’d be safe casting 6oz + a big bait right?

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have casted 5 1/4 oz + Big bait on my Solaris and it went fine…. Probably best suited for 4oz I suspect.

yellowfin
    Participant

It’s weird that they put the cast weigh rating so high then.

rdeejay
    Participant

i guess it would also depend on how you cast, i use a penn 16ft for powercasts hitting around 150 with a basic brighton cast(overhead thump from otg position) and using 5 1/4 sinkers plus bait etc and while my rod can handle bigger weights i would stick to just an overhead with big weights

Rodman
    Participant

I have just wasted an hour and a half writing about the solaris and how to fix them only to have my post wiped as usual.

yellowfin
    Participant

Maybe you could write in Notepad/Word then make the post from that? Just an idea.

St_Paul
    Participant

nice to hear the axeon is workin for ya mili.
    I like my solaris have had no problems with it at all. I used to fish wakanui or dorie once a fortnight and landed some good rig and ele’s on it. Rodman has very high standards for rods and owns a heap may be worth having a chat with him as he specializes in east coast surf fishing.

yellowfin
    Participant

I got 2 solaris’s a 13’6 and 14’6. I seem to be able to cast the 14’6 a bit further and i just use 5 oz sinkers the whole time for both rods. But when i was spinnin earlier in the year i was gettn more distance and 13’6 and it made lite work of the kingy that i got doin that.

yellowfin
    Participant

Also got a 13’6″ solaris, great rod battled a few big rays on it and preformed well, also eles. Matched with the 6500 baitrunner, not an ideally surf reel but an awesome reel none the less.

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve decided I’ll most likely get the Okuma Axeon Reel and 13’6″ Solaris Combo for $420, seems to be a fairly good deal. The Penn Slammer also looks like a nice rod, and I saw a 14’6″ Penn Slammer and Spinfisher 950 set for only $320, although the Slammer is only rated to 12kg. discountfishingsupplies.co.nz seem to have some great prices and really good deals on their combos.

Edit: I think I’ll keep looking around. No rush really, since I wont be fishing much over winter, I’ve got all year to decide.

Also seems discountfishingsupplies have put their Axeon/Solaris 13’6″ combo up to $350, and their 14’6″ up to $490, so maybe I should’ve went for it.

yellowfin
    Participant

In relation to my previous post about discountfishingsupplies putting their prices up, it seems that prices on their other gear may go up also.

Quote from discountfishingsupplies:
    [quote:1ndgbgaj]Prices are and will be going up on everything, as we get new stocks in, As all our wholesaler prices went up from beginning of feb by 15 to 30%. Due to the devalued NZ dollar.

We are only adjusting prices as we get new stock in, so it will take some time for a lot of the increases to be implemented on our site.

Anyway he put the Axeon/Solaris combo back down to $420 until Wednesday night (tonight).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 113 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.