Rock fishing canterbury

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Looking at heading to taylors next weekend. was reading the few topics on the website about allan (yellowfin) fishing black rock.thought of maybe doing it a lil like the north island style berlying up a storm and casting out unweighted baits out into the trail and seeing what i can pick up. would use things like whole pillies good sizled slabs of mullet etc. i mean should pick up ky and few other speicies i would expect. even catch one of those canterbury snapper!!!!! if i berleyt up enough could even get some kinigs in the trail which would be awesome to get into them

yellowfin
    Participant

For some reason I’ve never really done any good at black rock.
    I’ve caught a few herrings and I think a kahawai and spotties.
    A work mate has caught coutta, kahawai and red cod over there.

I’ve never tried berleying up over there.
    But I’m thinking it might be a little too early in the season still for kingis to be this far down.

Miliwolf
    Participant

If you do it for long enough you would catch a Snapper. Take plenty of food, tent, sleeping bag and one day it would happen. :!:

The Snapper are only just moving about up here, so would be surprised if they are around canty this time of year. Would really depend if the Snapper around Canty move down from the north or are a resident deep water population.

yellowfin
    Participant

If any one here catches a snapper off a rock on Bp, Ill give you a $100. Just cant see it happening. Good rock fishing can be had over tumbledown bay, access is a little bit of a hassel, but if your well prepared with burley etc I cant see why in summer you would have a lot of fun there. Kingfish get caught off there most summers as far as Im aware.

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve spent alot of time over at tumbledown. Awesome place and cant wait for the water to get warmer so I can head back over there.
    Such a quiet location and alot of the time we’ve been the only group fishing there.

I also reckon it would be an ideal place for a bit of spearfishing as well.
    I usually jump in the water and grab a feed of paua while I’m there.
    Have seen tarakihi, butterfish wrasse etc all in close amongst the kelp whilst snorkelling.

Just need someway to get rid of all the seals over there…

Miliwolf
    Participant

Seals do not really eat reef fish.

What is the visbility like while snorkling?

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Haha unfortunatly part of the reason the seal colony is there is because of all the fish, same here in Dunedin apparently its great fishing off the peninsula but theres a seal and albatross colony!

yellowfin
    Participant

Miliwolf

Sevengillz
    Participant

Nice pics.Looks like a nice place to park up.That big rock in the second pic looks like a fist giving the finger :lol:

yellowfin
    Participant

Sevengillz

yellowfin
    Participant

how long is the walk from the car park to the rocks?

yellowfin
    Participant

10 to 15, About the same as black rock.
    Some people walk down from the road above the ledge.
    Or you can park at the bottom and walk around the rocks. Just have to lob the occasional stone near seals to get them to move outta your way.
    If the swell is a bit dodgy on the eastern side the western side can be a better option.

yellowfin
    Participant

and those pics look to be at tumbledown ? looks like sucha sweet daythere with not much break although then again at timnes a lil bit of swell and break can helpfor the fish feeding

yellowfin
    Participant

yeah tumbledown. This year I’m definately making up a huge supply of berley to take over there.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea i gota couple of milk bottles in my freezer of berley. one is made of prawns mussels and few extras to bulk it up and the other is bread and fish oil. might make another one before the weekend of pillie and bonito

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.