Rig Rigs :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    ciliaris
    Participant

Just wondering what rig you guys recommend for big rig, trace etc. imagining crabs are pretty hard to cast but keen to have a crack at these guys this summer. Any help appreciated. Cheers all!

Miliwolf
    Participant

4/0 Owner SSW circle hook, snell the hook onto a 80lb nylon trace. I use a simple long cast pully rig again out of 80lb line. If you can not get crabs, then prawn work well and can be purchased from most supermarkets. I tie them on with heaps of bait elastic.

Best fishing is at the change of light with a incoming / high tide. A new moon and overcast conditions might also help. December onwards is when they are most common but a few are around from late september.

ciliaris
    Participant

Thanks for that. The prawn trick is interesting! One I’ll have to try. This time of year gets a bit tough! Weather’s warm enough to go out but most of the fish arn’t there yet! Start chomping at the bit! Moki shouldn’t be too far away either! Thanks for the advice. :)

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ll probably be using Mutsu 5/0 hooks for rig this year.. anything self hooking is good, and make sure that your baits are sitting on the sea bottom or close to it. Night-time fishing for rig is worthwhile too.

ciliaris
    Participant

Cheers man!

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Good info, I’m probably gonna head up to canterbury and beyond, for the holidays so i might throw in a line for a chance at a few rig.
    I live in Dunedin so…. no rig down here as far as i know. :(

Carl
    Participant

I like the same set up as Mili, pulley rigs are good at stopping them rolling up and busting off. I think fresh or fresh frozen crab is the best bait, half or whole. You’re Solaris will handle casting whole crabs easy if you use an appropriate sized sinker (I like 4oz).
    It pays to keep your rods wide apart when targeting biggies, rig over 15kg can easily tangle you up, been burnt a few times with lines crossing. It also helps to have a strong shockleader for handling them in close around the drop off (abrasion).
    Be prepared to fish late into the night and have a good headlamp, it makes landing them alot easier!!
    Good luck :)

ciliaris
    Participant

Thanks heaps for that Carl. What knot do you recommend to tie the shock leader to the mainline? In the past I’ve always used the double blood/clinch knot for going 17lb to 30lb but with heavier trace I’d be worried about that big knot jamming in the first guide when casting. Also how many wraps on the reel? I used to go about 3 wraps but I see on some other sight they are saying 4-5 wraps. One of the big parts of surf casting getting this right. I was watching a guy on the ‘tube’ last night recommending 50lb shock leaders for 4-5oz lead! In the past I’ve always fished 30lb shock leader with 3oz lead which seemed to hold up alright but I’m thinking for Rig and the Solaris rod 4-5 oz sinkers will be the go. Sorry all. I do plan to go out and experiment but any advice from those that have done the trial and era would be awesome. Thanks again everyone for the info so far. I’ll try and put as much back in when I get out there this year!

Miliwolf
    Participant

The rough rule of thumb is 10lb of shock leader for every 1 oz of sinker weight. So for 4oz sinkers use around 40-50lb shockleader. I use 80lb because I want extra abrasion resistant and I have that in my tackle box.

The knot I prefer to use is the bristol knot without a Brimni twist. All of the guides I have seen online show the knot with a brimini included but i do not feel it is required.

http://www.hatterasoutfitters.com/no_name_knot.htm

Do not be afraid of short casts, rig often feed in close.

ciliaris
    Participant

Thanks Miliwolf! Thanks for the link too.

Mal
    Participant

I fish around Hampden & Waianakarua quite a bit & during the season there is no shortage of Rig, I’d be very surprised if they werent in numbers around Dunedin as well,my success rate certainly increased after I started using crabs & crayfish for bait, (thanks to the wise ones of this message board) any shingle beach seems to produce although we have caught them on sand as well

LeestonSurfcaster
    Participant

Has anyone had success in catching rig on “softbait”? i have seen some of the crab imitations around now and was just wondering :-)

Daren

ciliaris
    Participant

Yeah I’d be keen to know how they go on Moki too. Some mates had a ball on Elephant fish one day last year at Spencer park beach using soft bait but I’m not sure which ‘flavour’ they were using. I’m pretty sure it was the crabs.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Never caught a Rig or a Moki on a gulp crab.

One night during a moki feeding frenzy I tried little sections of gulp crab and did not get a single bite while the shrimp was getting smashed every few minutes.

ciliaris
    Participant

Now thats interesting! Ya just saved me a spend up!! :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.