regulations

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

While fishing the Tiaeri Mouth today, a guy caught a salmon, about 25 to 30cm in length.

most would release, and considering salmon are very seldom caught in the Taieri I would expect a min size would be enforced.

The old signage around the place still states 2 bag limit 45cm, but the regulations have obviously since changed over the years and there is no size limit on salmon in Otago, with exception of the Clutha River.

I don’t understand why anyone would keep a fish so small, but he did.

I may have mentioned to him that it was undersize, and after reviewing the regulations again, I feel the fool, but I still think its wrong, and don’t like when people catch/kill a bag limit of 20cm trout or salmon.

Rant over.

yellowfin
    Participant

Probably one of the guys who whitebait with drag nets in the Taieri, they scoop the lot. I think they should be banned. But yeah, he shouldve put it back. I literally stumbled apon a massive trout( Im sure it was a trout and not a salmon) at the bridge at Outram last weekend while flyfishing, but couldnt get the bastard. Seriously, it was the biggest Trout ive seen in Taieri, thing was it had a pink strip through it which made me think Rainbow but couldnt be, then a bloke suggest it may have been a salmon. Was probably close to 8-10lb.

burkefish
    Participant

there are the odd searun rainbows around, most of the rainbows in nz are from steelhead stock. occasionally get 1 in the waimak. I got my first ever rainbow in the avon river in 1960’s in tidal water. rainbows being released in the rakaia the hope is some will searun.

yellowfin
    Participant

The fish at outram glen are very fit and fat right now, i spent a good 20 mins chasing a good 6-8lb brown is the shallows by the bridge with no success.

I would find it hard to believe a Rainbow would make its way up the taieri, the pink strip does seem odd, Salmon could be possible, a few are being caught at the mouth at the moment, i lost one about 1-2lb today and 2 caught last night much the same size, a small run of larger fish may have made its way up early.

very interesting about the searun rainbows burkefish, I did not realise they did this in nz, wouldnt it be cool to have an establised stealhead and salmon fishery in NZ.

burkefish
    Participant

searun rainbows or steelheads is the hope of the rakaia releases. 40,000 rainbows escaped during the earthquakes was the start and another 40,000 is planned this year, so hears hoping. my brother got a 3lb fish on his fly rod when we salmon fishing the lower waimak a few years ago. took him 20+ mins to land an amazing fight. a cousin hooked one in the same area , we reckon about 8lb spent more time in the air than in the water until it got off. could clearly see it was a rainbow. they were both in tidal water and i have had a couple about 30cm over the years. so rainbows do exist in tidal waters. we also have a video of a rainbow caught and released in the huranui where there are not ment to be any.

yellowfin
    Participant

I have had half a dozen rainbows from within 200m of the rakaia gut,nothing over 3lbs though!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.