Reels

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 91 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 92 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Sorry for the late reply ( been fishing :grin: )
    high mount most of the time…. but have the reel on coasters so I can put it wherever I want. Only do the low mount when playing at the park casting its realy realy bad for playing a big fish in that spot.
    Factory spacings are to low for me I also have a pendcast and thats going to get the reel seat cut of and coasters put on thatt one day soon.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeahnah

yellowfin
    Participant

sort of a hose clip but nicer

yellowfin
    Participant

I have gave up on low mount for surfcasting after a 40 odd min fight with a car door size ray …… totally stuffed after that fight !!!!!!!!!!
    High mount just suits me for fishing for BIG casts low mount is the best …. but for fishing high mount is easier for me .

Also all the salmon rods that I have seen ( and I have one myself ) are a lot lighter then my surf rods and at 10 to 12ft shorter then the surfrods as well.

Having said that i have seen a vid of some guys catching big sharks form the beach in nambia??? 15ft rods low mount sl50h reels and they just sat down on the beach and fought the fish from there. :grin: whatever works for them I guess.

The main thing with coasters is YOU choose where the reel is on the rod not where the man in the factory chooses to place it . After all do we all have the same lenght arms ? ….no …. so why should we all have the reel at the same spot on a rod??

Miliwolf
    Participant

Has anyone tried casting with the Daiwa Millionaire SW203, looks like a nice little reel.

Suppose to be very easy to cast… Might be a touch small for Kingfish and Sharks.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Maybe also the Daiwa TD Luna 300, beleive it is the ‘replacement’ for the millionare.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaluna.html

yellowfin
    Participant

No but the fact they have level winds will cut down the distence heaps .Are you looking for a surf reel or reel for just lobbing a bait out 50ft?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Did not go fishing today so had to much time to look at reels…. Was meant to be looking for a new jigging reel but got bored and looked at other products.

I was reading on one forum where a few posts claimed it outcasted the Slosh reels or it could of been the saltist 20h which might be my jigging reel.

yellowfin
    Participant

I doubt that ANY levelwind reel will outcast a slosh as the level wind is driven of the spool any that = a whole heap of friction even if it running on ball bearings as the fricton of 2 bearings is less then the friction of 4.
    the saltish would outcast the slosh but only in the right hands. saw youtube clip not so long ago showing a guy casting 150mtrs…………with only the butt section of the rod :shock:

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi there,
    I have been trying for quite a while now ” how to cast a free spool reel ” , I always ended up with birds nests etc. Can anyone give a detailed breakdown of setting up for a long long cast???? Thanks :?

yellowfin
    Participant

What reel are you using ? This is important.

Step one set up the reel with the max braking to start with either brake blocks or mags /oils /line level etc

step two DONT go full power yet just start with a easy lob concentrating on a smooth power stroke and release.

Step three watch the sinker and the moment it hits the water stop the spool by touching the flange of the spool not the line as the line will burn you :shock:

Step four slowly start building power while keeping with the smooth release . a jerky release will just spin the reel faster

Step five once you are happy with your nice smooth casting style take a bit of braking out just a bit….and try again repeat that process once you start getting the braking down you will start getting the line fluffing up mid cast this is when the reel is running just slightly faster then the line is being taken out it looks scary but gives the best distence …I have my reels running a bit tighter then that hi speed ragged edge as its either a good cast or a birdy .

When you are casting and the line starts to birdy try not to thumb the line instead touch the spool its far far better for the skin on your thumb!!!

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi there, thanks so far for what’s been said. The reels I’m using so far are the Shimano Calcutta 400, 20lb line; Shimano Torium 16, 20lb line, both are weighted with 4 – 5oz sinkers. I’m up in Auckland the snapper have moved a bit further from shore but we still catch a few so far. We fish off the rocks, you see.

yellowfin
    Participant

Continuation of above. The rods are Okuma 15 footer Predator; and Okuma 14.6 footer Solaris with egg beater reels Okuma Avenger ABF80 baitfeeder and Penn Applause, if that’s any help to cast further?

yellowfin
    Participant

Ok the calcuttas are v nice reels but with a level wind they will always cost you distence the toriums have a good rep for casting but have a heavy spool which requires a fair bit of braking to keep under control ( the heavier the spool the more braking requied ).
    Torums have centrifugal bakes I think but may not have the brake blocks fitted from the factory ?? Might be worth a trip to you tackle shop to ask the guys there if they can open it up and tell you yes or no there.

What you may find helpful is to drop the line level down on the reels say 3mm or so under the spools edge for the freespools

Now onto the fixedspools.

The rods are ok but not being designed for freespools the guides are both the wrong size and on the wrong side of the spine for freespools.

With a well loaded fixed spool ( 6kg main and a 24kg shockleader) a cast of 100 +mtrs with bait is possible .

I have a solaris set up with a daiwa reel and can get a bare 6oz sinker 150mtrs with out going into a otg or more advanced casting style ( dont think the rod will handle that )

The best thing is to practise practise practise as the more that you can cast the better you can cast ..If you concentrate on a smooth action and release rather then the rip sh!t and bust style of casting you will find your distences will start going up , The best casters look like they are hardly working but the lead flies!!

The basic overhead thump cast is easy to master concentrate on pulling down with one hand while punching foward with the other while looking at your aiming spot ( anything at about 45% up from the horizon).

yellowfin
    Participant

hey does anyone know anything about the Tica Abyss longcast baitrunner ?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members