Reels

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 91 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 92 total)
  • Author

St_Paul
    Participant

but if it lasts longer then it may represent better value, I agree about the fireline though, its not suitable for our conditions. Powerpro is a cheaper option.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have only heard positive reports regarding suffix performance braid. At this rate I probably would not get to trail it until next summer because I just reversed my fireline and it is fine, should easily last until next year if I keep it out of the surf. Even if it does wear out faster, I would probably cut off the damaged 20-30m and respool it with a bit of backing.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Does anyone know of a locally available surf reel which would be better then the Shimano Big Bait Runner?

Daiwa Emblem? Never seen them in NZ before, no idea of the price….
    Daiwa Saltiga Surf? Expensive, heard they do not live up to what they promise…..
    Okuma Axeon 90? Slightly cheaper, but heard they are not the most relaible reel….

yellowfin
    Participant

What you have listed are all very good reels I have mates that use axeons and so far they are holding up well ( and these guys fish a lot )
    The saltiga surf reels are very very nice I had a play with one in oz last year .The basia would be worth a look as well.
    Have heard good things about the shimano xt 12000 reel.
    Have a look at the aussie sites like campbellsprotackle and motackle they both have some of the ones you were asking about.

The big baitrunners are way too heavy for a surf reel imho .

Why not make the leap to freespools ?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Have thought about freespools but do not want to worry about the risk of bird nests.

According to their websites the Big baitrunner and the Axeon are roughly the same weight? (790 grams)

There seems to be a real shortage of good quality surf reels in New Zealand.

yellowfin
    Participant

I picked up a big baitrunner the other day in a shop and thought oh feck its heavy :eek:

People make a big thing about birdsnests but realy its not that big a deal. Most of the big birdys on you tube etc are tourney guys casting one the edge.
    One get a proper casting reel. Daiwa sl series penns 525 mag okumas magnetix or a abu 6500.
    The likes of a magnetix you can wind the mags up to full and unless you are a total muppet casting wise you can not blow that reel up .Once you have past the omg its going to explode fear you can wind the mags off a bit at a time until you reach the point where the reel starts to “fluff” up when casting.
    Once there go back one click on the mags and you are done! The penn is the same basic story.The daiwas and abus use brake blocks inside the reel where you start with the biggest and change them for smaller ones as you learn.( Easy job to do 10 mins tops )

I spent 8 hrs fishing a beach this weekend with baits ranging from large crabs to small bits of pilly in a x wind ranging from 0 to 15 knots No birdys at all and dropping the baits any where from 15 mtrs to 100+ offshore .

Once you come to the world of freespools you WONT go back I have a nice daiwa fixed spool that is now a set up to lend out!

Miliwolf
    Participant

I was thinking about buying a TLD25 for livebaiting but what are the advantages of baitcasters for surf fishing.

The following is what I beleive….

One of the main advantages I see is the strong design and large line capacity. This could be useful for fishing for large strong fighting fish like kingfish, but most of the sharks/fish caught while surfcasting are not in that category.

There is the potential for increase casting distance, but I believe the ‘longer spools’ and the new super braids have help to close the gap.

They might be more accurate at longer distances but I have let to find a surf beach which requires a large degree of accuracy.

Baitcasters are physically lighter, which could be helpful in a long drawn out fights.

yellowfin
    Participant

Ok I class a abu 6500 as a bait caster and the others as freespool casting reels the baitcasters are the best casting due to their small size and low spool weight
    but not the strongest reels out there .The casting reeels are made for sea use and have much bigger gears etc .

A magnetix in the 30 size or the matching daiwa in the 30 will hold 400 or mtrs of 20 lb line and thats plenty after all if you say cast 100 mtrs and have a fish run a 100 mtrs off you have 200 or so left to play with. I mainly use the daiwa sl2osh and it holds about 300mtrs of line and I ad no probs landing a est 30 kg stinger the other week with it.

The big thing is the gears on a freespool are in direct line with the spool not having to turn at right angles like they do on a fixed spool.. less loading and better wear.

Distance wise … who cares most fish are caught in close but all things being equal a freespool will outcast a fixed spool due to the line being thrown of the spool by its rotation vs the line being towed from the spool on a fixedspool and no drag from the line being pulled past the spools lip.

Weight wise a 30 will weigh 600g or so .

I have little trouble hitting a spot that I want tthe bait to land at. Be it 80 or 100 mtrs out but that is more the caster then the gear used.

Also when casting you dont have to wind up the drag cast and then reset the drag ,Just jam your thumb on the spool throw the lever ..cast throw the lever back wind in the slack and wait for the hit!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Has anyone had any experience with the Quantum surf reels?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Fishing … 225351.htm

I beleive that Quantum is quite big in the US market, although not sure on the quality of their offerings.

yellowfin
    Participant

The only info that I can find on those is from the euro sites and its the same info as in that ad and it sells for @ 90 pounds …. It looks ok … I would rather have a daiwa :grin:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, there is not much info on it. It is only slightly cheaper then the Axeon so would probably give it a miss.

St_Paul
    Participant

Cannot recommend the Axeon more highly, the things a beast! Great casting, smooth drag good line lay, and a spare alloy spool, what more can ya ask for! :)

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey “Yeahnah” everything you say regarding freespools is correct. But its tough going trying to convert people! Retailers should have casting ranges where potential buyers can try before they buy I reckon. Im am a huge fan of sloshs & abus, but first encountered them Salmon fishing(as you do in Canterbury) & have progressed to use them surfcasting, for outright casting distance, you cant beat em! Keep up the good work.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yip they have their ups and downs but once you get the hang of them egg beaters feel crude and heavy .. :grin:
    Yes the birdys can be a pain esp at night but once you have started casting and fishing with freespools you wont go back.

If any one out there has a chance to try out a frespool do so!! load it up with some mid price limp mono wind up the mags/brakes attach it to a rod and cast with a nice smooth action and you will be hooked .

I was having a cast at the local park the other day a well braked sl2oh reel qt6 rod and 60z sinker 178 of my paces from a overhead thump.

A few test rods per store would be a nice idea ..but I doubt that it would ever happen in nz .
    and dont get me started on the limted choice that we surfcasters have in rods in nz.

Cheers Neil

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeahnah

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members