Reels

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 91 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 92 total)
  • Author

St_Paul
    Participant

Tripping the bail arm on surf reels manually is the best way to go. most of the high end reels don’t have auto trips

yellowfin
    Participant

and so i believe if it even better to do it manually if you are using braid which i have on my reel no that high class a okuma eclipz ec-90 and i find its great to cast with braid it is so good with strength of 50lb but thickness of 12lb

St_Paul
    Participant

Yup that braid is good shit allright, and you will get wind knots in it if you don’t close that bail arm manually.

yellowfin
    Participant

good old powerpro i got the high vis yellow. what exactly are wind knots?? ive heard u mentionthem but not sure

St_Paul
    Participant

basically where loose braid ties itself into a knot when casting.
    I’ve been using powerpro for a while in the moss green colour. Have also recently been trying suffix performance braid and its even better than powerpro. Next time I think I’ll try the 20lb and use the 50lb as a shock leader.

yellowfin
    Participant

the 20lb sufix??? or powerpro that would be like the thickness of 6lb line then

St_Paul
    Participant

the suffix. It is slightly thinner than the powerpro so would be closer to 5lb, reckon the extra casting distance and lack of line drag would be excellent.
    I’ve just sent off a bit of an article concerning superlines to yellowfin so you may see it up on the site soon.

yellowfin
    Participant

oh sweet how long do you think it would be before you need to replace your braid? eg mono id replace fairly often

yellowfin
    Participant

i found at kaikoura with my eclipz with 50lb braid and 12ft beastmaster rod with a slight tail wind i seemed to cast a faierly good distance for me whos only like 5’5 with a slightly aggrestive lob cast rather than a full cast and was getting lik 70ish metres with a 3 oz sinker

St_Paul
    Participant

Time wil tell, but I’ve had powerpro on for a year and its still going strong, I know that by now I’d have gone through at least one change of mono.
    With an off the ground cast I’ve been able to clear 150yds of powerpro using 5 oz sinker and clip down pulley rig.

yellowfin
    Participant

shit thats a good cast but wouldnt you think you castingover the fish in that case? i usually try to fish my feet first and then work out from there. havnt really tried to rip into a cast yet gotta get the hang of the whole loading my rod thing really.

St_Paul
    Participant

I usually fish 2 rods one short cast one long cast, have got most of my rig and elephants on longer casts that get you out past the edge of the dirty water line.

yellowfin
    Participant

guess thatdepends on how far out that line is though

St_Paul
    Participant

yup true, but its bloody handy to be able to get it out there in marginal water conditions

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have found Suffix Performance braid to be rather expensive, more then double the price per m then fireline…. maybe even 3x. Going to try it out on my small Shimano Biomaster 2500 when my fireline wears out. I have found fireline does not like rough conditions at all. Would not be tempted to use it surfcasting again.

Even my 25lb mono needed reversing after around 8 trips into the surf.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members