reels

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    rdeejay
    Participant

I think his source of information stems from the fact he works in the business and has been around in the scene since Adam was a cowboy lol.
    And he never did say daiwa was made in America he just said he could get it cheaper from there at a direct price.
    Man bring back the day when you could just go off fishing with a piece of crud rod and reel and still catch fish, i remember growing up fishing using stuff from my grandfather, old school rods and reels that never needed to be maintained, they just kept on going.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

To correct you to start, the title is Fishy Bishy, not Fishy Billy as you refer. :wink:
    I too have been within the trade since the days when you obviously were.
    My guess Capt is that you were with Allan G Mitchell way back then?? Yes?
    Maybe we know each other from those days.
    I never referred to Daiwa being USA made, I was about to purchase one from USA from digitaldagger.com when the Emblem was offered to me. Sorry if I confused you.
    I was in retail when the then Penn agents, Kilwell, approached us offering a reel (Penn) to which our reply was why the hell do we need another brand of reel?? Then we had alongside Daiwa, Mitchell, D.A.M., ABU, Heddon, Shakespeare, Olympic, Pfleuger, Point etc etc. Penn couldn’t get a leg in if it tried and not until Thompson Walker ran the brand marketing programme, did it demand shelf space.
    The main basis of my claims to the excellence of the Daiwa product is in the now, not from whence they started as “cheap reels of Japanese origin” although they were still bloody good value for money and worked well for the given purposes intended. There was no such thing then as a distance casting contest for example. Nor did we worry about the finer details of how the reels were made or built so long as they kept going. And, what the hell was a ball bearing for then if not to make a bicycle run smoothly.
    Funny how the guys n dolls down the Rakaia coast have been taking bearings out favouring the bushed ABU 7000’s for Salmon for greater smoothness…..and distance!
    I trust you may be now well happy knowing on what I base my comments.

fishforpot
    Participant

All this talk of high quality gear being such an issue …….

IMO paying a few hundy more for a reel , wont make big % jumps in casting distance..

Ive tried several brands of reels , and they seem to be much of a muchness re distance ……

I still feel , at least with my “rip the shit out of it” style of cast , the simple act of moving a few bottom eyes up to maybe a foot further away from the reel seat is an easy way to gain 50% in distance …..
    I have done this to 4 rods I own , as well as a few for mates , all with the same result ….

I wouldnt expect the average fisho to go mutilating their rod……but keep it in mind if you ever break a bottom eye….or are having a rod custom built ….
    Pick up a new eye , and just tape it in position….and go test it…..keep pushing it forward until you start losing distance again …assuming you gained some initially lol …
    You may find no gains , or you may find a big jump that warrants looking at the next guide up as well ….

I mightnt be able to give you all the scientific ins and outs , but just keep it in mind if you ever have the chance to play with the guides …..what do you have to lose

OH , for them’s whose mentioning pissing contests , dont forget people tend to prefer fishing when an offshore wind blows ……

yellowfin
    Participant

Yikes !
    Here I am in picton and a fights broken out.

Fish with whatever you have and hit whatever rod you have untill you can not wring any more distance out of it.

I have spent a lot of time on paddocks practicing and getting couching via the web from top casters worldwide to get where I am now ( and I have a long way to go yet )

Yes my gear is pricey and I make no bones about if you want to get to world class you have to have world class gear .

One of my rods gets used as a fshing rod regulay its light and shows bites nicely it also will launch the 3 and 4 oz leads a long way a measuered 220 meters on the 3 oz at a welly casting day .
    The other rod is a beast of a thing it wuld take a decent fish to even show up :D so its only used over grass.

The reels have been hot rodded for casting with adjustable magnetic braking but thats all.

Wilderness is right about distacne loss with baits .On a day were I was hitting 210s i could get with 150 or so with a clipped down bait ( gulp shad thingee so I didnt leave bits of pilly on the field ) with one of my fishing reels.

fishforpot
    Participant

You are using freespools ? ……My rod tweak is for eggbeaters …..

The hideous rip it technique I employ prevents me using a freespool lol ….

yellowfin
    Participant

Freespools 99% of the time :grin:

Miliwolf
    Participant

You in Picton, barley a hour after high tide and you are not out fishing :roll:

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeahnah

fishforpot
    Participant

Its qutie concievable that distance loss is exponential when baits are added ….the longer your base cast , the greater the % of distance loss …

Probably even moreso into a head wind ….

I would go as far as suggesting one could almost equate backwards , the % lost could well indicate roughly how far you are actually casting …..

It isnt easy to estimate distance , not everyone will take the time to take a tape measure out into the park and test true distances

yellowfin
    Participant

No its not easy to estimate, but senior footy fields of any code should all be approx 100m x 70m, or like I was told take 100m(or any length you like) of line & join it to your mainline. After awhile you get to know whether you are casting to your best ability or not & dont need it anymore. I still have 100m of 50lb braid on the front of my SL30SH works even better than trying to see the knot in mono either on the spool or somewhere between the beach & the sharp bits.

yellowfin
    Participant

You cast braid on your sl30?

yellowfin
    Participant

Miliwolf

Captain Hook
    Participant

Fishy Bishy!
    Firstly, please accept my most humble apologies for refering to you by an incorrect title. I can not explain how I managed that. :oops:
    Fishy Billy sounds like something a child would keep cockabullies in.

Going by your age I would suspect you entered the trade around 9 years after me and while your name seems familiar I can not for the life of me put a face to it. I have been stirring up the old memory banks and trying to recall the names of staff from the likes of Turner LeBrun, Tisdalls, Cromb and Merritt, McKillops Sports, McPhail and Fisher, Farmers Co-op, Anderson and Hill and a few other stores of the time and yet it still eludes me.

Did I work for Allan G Mitchell? NO! I worked for R.J.Bain and Co.

Thank you for clarifying your point about Daiwa and USA.

At no point was I disputing that Daiwa reels were not value for money then or now.
    My point was that, contrary to your statement, Penn reels were available in this country before Daiwa and from not long after the Penn Fishing Tackle Company was formed in 1932 and Daiwa only from the early to mid 1960s.
    The fact that most South Island retailers did not stock them did not mean they were unavailable.
    They were quite popular with the North Island boating fisherfolk and were in fact one of the few good revolving spool reels available at the time before ABU came on the market.

In your reply you state, and I quote,”There was no such thing then as a distance casting contest for example.” (unquote)
    WRONG. The New Zealand Casting Assocciation was an original member of the International Casting Association when it was formed in 1953 so must have been formed some time prior to that. I do not know what year competitions started in NZ however I do know the National Championships were held in Christchurch and hosted by the Canterbury Anglers Club around 1963 or 1964. The distance event was held at what was then the New Brighton Racecourse and on the piece of land where the QE2 stadium now stands. The accuracy events for threadline and fly were held at Lake Bryndwr in Wairakei Rd. A large contingent of North Islanders came down for the event and all catergories were strongly contested. A local sawmiller by the name of Kel Thompson (Hardie and Thompson sawmills) did very well from memory.
    Enough of the history lessons.

In my opinion a revolving spool reel in competant hands will outcast a fixed spool reel every time and while I have used both for many years I find I now tend to favour the fixed spool reel as it tends to be more user friendly. Maybe I’m just getting lazy or perhaps too old to be bothered with untangling birds nests. Any way, use what suits your requirments best and just enjoy fishing.

Thats it, rant over, I’m going fishing. :grin:

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Fair enough Capt.
    There was but just one omission that is relevant for the subject, in the list of stores, Smiths City Market. :wink:
    In those days tackle stores were very traditional (the only one left to my knowledge in the traditional bracket – now that McCarthy’s in Dunedin is gone – is in Alexandra, and was run by Graeme Middledorf, if my memory serves right.)
    Timber floors in most of them, Older, more knowledgable and helpful, wise staff that knew how to advise and add to the cash register afterward.

A further clue Capt is that I was the first winner of the Farmer Co-op Aquarius Trophy in 1971 for heaviest Trout for the season by a Junior angler. This was presented by the late Al Creedon and I still have and love the Aquarius Castaway Salmon rod I won to keep! Caught more Salmon on that than any other rod I own.

So, hatchets away, hope your sojourn to the water’s edge is rewarding for you and a Happy New Year to you and yours.
    :D

(By the way, RJ Bain is very familiar too for their Rolux Rods, many of which will still be in use today. (My Dad had the cleaning contract for RJ Bains and that is yet another clue……. :wink: )

yellowfin
    Participant

zac

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.