Reels

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 91 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 11 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

hey whats everyone opinion on the shimano 6500b for surfcasting? and good? also ive been looking at an okuma

yellowfin
    Participant

The 6500b is a good honest workhorse of a reel ( its been in shimanos range unchanged for ?? yrs always a sign of good design )

Not a great longcasting reel wilth its deep spool but just so strong!

The okumas are ok but wont last anything like the shimano.

However they are a better casting reel.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

I have an oryx and an Eclipse and

Sevengillz
    Participant

I used a okuma bait feeder reel for a while on a 14ft killwell and I got a few trouble free years out of it.I now use a Tica gg100 surf reel and it is the sh1t.

yellowfin
    Participant

ok thanks guys

St_Paul
    Participant

Have an okuma eclipse BR

Miliwolf
    Participant

I own the Shimano 6500b… It is heavy, tough and well made. Not the best for long casts. The “baitrunner” feature is useful.

I would personally go for a Daiwa Emcast plus 6000 if on a budget. The ‘workmanship’ is not the best but it has a good reputation. It also has a long cast spool. Think I saw one in Smith City Mega on Colombo Street for $185. So you should be able to get it for around $150 the next time they have a sale.

For a bit more the Daiwa Emblem or a okuma axeon would be a good option.

Miliwolf
    Participant

double post

yellowfin
    Participant

Bought a shimano 6500 today, boat rod and reel combo 299.99. (Rod is a one piece 7.5foot shimano)

The latest 6500 reels are very similar to the first models, only difference: better ball bearings (non-corosive type) and its now water proof, no water can get in under the spool.

Other than not being the best for surfcasting distance it will be suited to rock, boat fishing and a 10 year gurantee you cant go wrong!! :)

yellowfin
    Participant

was that the ones they had at rebel sport?

yellowfin
    Participant

Hunting and fishing

yellowfin
    Participant

oh ok cause i remember seeing at rebel sport they had a similar deal but it came with like line of a knife or somthing

Miliwolf
    Participant

http://www.gofish.co.nz currently have Daiwa emcast reels for only $129.90. Good price for a decent reel.

LeestonSurfcaster
    Participant

Help !

I was down at tamutu last saturday eveneing got a huge hook up :)

St_Paul
    Participant

I Have been using a sceptre for about a year and love it, works well with mono or braid, can empty 150 yds of braid in a single cast. has a nice smooth drag, and I think the new model comes with 3 different alloy spools.

The Cybernetics are a good solid looking reel and have heard lots of good things.

the oryx is basically a dumbed down version of the Axeon and have heard of a few issues with them.

Have you considered the latitude which is about 1/2 way between the oryx and the axeon??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members