RED COD BLUES

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

For the most part the people setting nets in the diversion and the wairau lagoons are breaking no laws. The set net ban to protect the dolphins ends at the river mouths. I feel its a disgusting thing to do but there is not much which can be done.

No person may use or possess a line with more than 25 hooks. Possession and use of Long Lines are prohibited in Pelorus Sound inside a line from Tawero Point to Opani-Aputa Point and in Kenepuru Sound.

A more comprehensive list of fishing regulations can be found here.

http://www.fish.govt.nz/en-nz/Recreational/Fishery+Management+Areas/Challenger+Area/Finfish+Method+Restrictions.htm

With regards to Kontiki fishing, I have found that the best fishing is normally just behind the first breaker. Casting further out is often less productive. Once the basics have been figured out its normally not hard to catch a feed, or even multiple feeds per trip so I do not see the point of setting a long line off the east coast beaches.

In saying that, it would be interesting to see if the mutiple hooks could result in the capture of a rarer species.

yellowfin
    Participant

My parents use to own a fish shop. and we sold fresh fish from the market etc as well..

We used to go to the morning fish markets and get our supplies. Red Cod (or the more marketable name Akaroa cod) is still right up there in price.
    Commercial fisherman dont discriminate what goes in the bins. Some have huge lice and worms on them. But generally they stick to the skin and gills but never seen any in the actual flesh.

Another one that alot of people love is stargazer/monkfish or sometimes called deep sea cod in the shops. Its slimy ugly and often stink as well. But as long as the public dont see what it looked liked before the fillets came off. They love it.
    I speared one out at Titirangi over summer and that had a whole kahawai in it that smelt like it had been rotting in its guts for weeks.

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.