Recommend a good rod for me?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hey, I really don’t know what sorta rod I should be going for. I hear bigger isnt always better, could you guys recommened a good new rod for me to buy? I surfcast from beaches and sometime’s rocks.

cheers

fishforpot
    Participant

How long is a banana

yellowfin
    Participant

thanks for your helpful post,not allowed to ask q’s around here?

St_Paul
    Participant

I like the okuma solaris and the power plays by kilwell are good rods too.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I to like the Solaris, a great affordable rod, not the best for long distance casting but that is rarely required. Actually, most Surf Rods would work just fine. I have never used one which I would not happily catch a fish with. Would go for a graphite rod for the weight savings.

For Rock fishing, grab a 8ft $50-$120 solid tip rod, with a rating of around 8-10kg. Something like a Ugly Stick Gold, Penn Powerstick, Shimano Raider. All brands should have something in this range, probably all made on the same Chinese production line.

Birdlingsflat
    Participant

I use one of these..
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing … =320766684

easy transporting..light lots of fun..

yellowfin
    Participant

Wouldn’t recommend a telescopic rods although some people may like them.

High end:
    Rods like the kilwell powerplay range are probably the best you will find but they retail around $600, although I got mine off trademe for $200.

Mid range:
    There’s a rod out by Abu called the Abu Surfline ($200) which looks a lot like the Solaris, but it’s cheaper and has a few changes which make it a better rod than the Solaris which pretty much means the Solaris is off the market unless you can find one second hand really cheap. There’s a few others around the $200 mark but I really would recommend the surfline.

http://www.discountfishingsupplies.co.n … ab13374b38

If you’re not wanting to spend that much money then look at the Penn Powerstick surf rods or maybe the Daiwa Eliminators if you can find them.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Fishing … 206879.htm

As for size I really don’t think a big 16 footer is needed at all especially if you have a decently long rod holder for fishing rougher conditions. You’ll probably cast further with a 13 or 14 foot as well although I do think 12foot is a bit to short. The rod should also be rated to cast a 5-6oz sinker.

yellowfin
    Participant

cool thanks guys, penn powerstick doesn’t seem to expensive. Ive got a daiwa eliminator rod I got couple years back but its more a boat rod then a surf caster,maybe 7-8ft got from rebel sport for like $30

yellowfin
    Participant

go for about 12 ft surfcaster

yellowfin
    Participant

as zac and miliwolf have said the solaris and kilwell powerplays but at 600+ for the powerplays it may not be the best option, i also have a okuma axon rod and it doesnt seem to be too bad thus far. also as mentioned id got with a od 13-14foot for casting easier i rckon 12foot rods are a waste of time personally for off a beach

yellowfin
    Participant

First post in this thread Wed Nov 17, 2010 .

I would guess the OP already has a rod sorted.

Miliwolf
    Participant

At least it makes the forum look less dead, at least I think it does.

yellowfin
    Participant

I have used el cheapo rods thus far and they seem fairly indestructable.Grey boys up to 50lbs were handled easily.And then there
    was the time I had the drag set way too high when a big rig hit and I was 50m away from rod.Rod bent like staple and by the time I got there there 5/8 reinforcing bar spike had a bent section in it.Rod handled it well.The el cheapo reels however last only a
    season of constant fishing.

yellowfin
    Participant

Damn guys, I use 2 shimano beastmasters I bought for sounds snapper fishing and they are only 10 footers..cheap, robust and easy to replace if needed…used them off the Christchurch beaches last summer and nailed my fair share of eles and rig..in saying that, I wasn’t casting far as I didn’t feel the need too, and hooked fish within 20m of my feet..I don’t think I missed an extra foot or 3 in rod length..but listen to the ginga..he knows his game!!

yellowfin
    Participant

do i?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.