purau bay fishing??

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    keenfisherman
    Participant

Hey guys

I was just curious, anyone had any experience fishing off that little jetty at purau bay? It really does look like a beautiful spot to fish… its the next bay along from diamond harbor.

Thoughts? Tackle required? Fish species avalible? Cheers :grin:

shark slayer
    Participant

F#&k all at this time of year..small doggys and sea lice..over summer mullet,small kahawai,rays,skates and rig..generaly would be slow fishing

keenfisherman
    Participant

thanks man

fishforpot
    Participant

You never know what might venture into the bay at night …only one way to find out …..
    Be worth trying a range of baits …..come the warmer months of course

keenfisherman
    Participant

indeed, im thinking a two hook ledger rig with 80lb trace, 20lb mono mainline, 5/0 hooks, with maybe shrimp on one hook and mullet or squid on the other? Is that a good setup for anywhere in the harbor guys? one more thing, iv heard rumors that loads of those bays in lyttleton are the breeding grounds for eles and rig? anyone know if its true? :grin:

shark slayer
    Participant

rig not eles..i wouldnt eat the rig from there..if you do just keep the females under 14lb anything bigger will likely be in pup.

shark slayer
    Participant

i would use 150 lb trace for rig because your fishing from a wharf and 200lb for other fishing because a good 7 giller or ray can be hard to stop..i would also ditch the 20lb mono mainline and go 30lb braid.

keenfisherman
    Participant

ohk thank you

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.